Jan 21, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 21 Cincinnati at No. 3 Syracuse (3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)
The biggest question heading into this game: Will Cashmere Wright play? It’s going to be a game time decision, but he was out warming up, which is something he didn’t do on Saturday against Marquette. Wright injured his knee last week in a win over DePaul.
The Bearcats need him, even if he’s not at 100%. Beyond the fact that Wright tends to play well against Syracuse, the Orange are excellent ar forcing turnovers with the length in their zone. It’s also important to note that the Orange play zone, and to beat that zone the Bearcats are going to need to be able to penetrate. Wright is the team’s best penetrator.
Syracuse will be without James Southerland, but they were without James Southerland when they went into Louisville and beat the Cardinals on the road.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Southern at Alabama A&M (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Southern puts their 7-0 SWAC record on the line as they trip to Alabama A&M, who has beaten Missouri State and won at Mississippi State this season.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Wright State at Detroit (7:00 p.m. ET)
Valpo has taken over the lead in the Horizon League race, and that’s because they beat both Wright State and Detroit last week. I think the Titans were a bit upset about the loss; after blowing a 22 point second half lead to the Crusaders, they went out and beat Illinois-Chicago by 51 points and led 53-14 at the half.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Bigger Monday! We get two Big East games and two Big 12 games tonight, with the festivities kicking off at 3:30 p.m.
2) The Red River Rivalry just doesn’t have the same kind of hype in hoops that it does on the gridiron, but that doesn’t mean that the game isn’t important. Oklahoma looks like one of a handful of teams that could slide in behind Kansas State as the third best team in the conference, but to do so they have to beat teams like Texas at home. (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)
3) There will be plenty on display when Oklahoma State visits Baylor (5:30 p.m. ET, ESPN), but what Scott Drew and Travis Ford have been able to do on the recruiting trail has yet to provide their programs with the kind of wins and championships that would be expected.
4) Three weeks ago, Georgetown and Notre Dame both looked like top 15 teams and legitimate threats to finished third in the Big East. Now? The Hoyas are coming off of a loss to South Florida and may be without Greg Whittington for the rest of the season. The Irish nearly blew a game at home to Rutgers after losing at St. John’s. How good are these two teams?
5) Towson is 5-1 in the CAA thanks in large part to Jerrelle Benimon, who is leading the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, blocks and is third in steals.
The Top 25
No. 21 Cincinnati at No. 3 Syracuse (3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Georgetown at No. 24 Notre Dame (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Want to guess how much they spend on planes for recruiting?
Jul 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The best of the best from the final week of the July live evaluation period from Las Vegas and Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
Thon Maker won’t be on the team either, but it is loaded with former college stars.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Skal Labissiere may want to go to Europe. That does not mean Europe wants him.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Despite not being included among the five official visits, Indiana and UNLV remain options for Zimmerman.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Nearly three months after breaking a backboard during a pickup game, the rising junior took out another one this weekend.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Chase Jeter is down to Arizona, Duke, UCLA and UNLV.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Ray Smith tore his ACL earlier this month.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Ed O’Bannon’s lead attorney didn’t even know who he was when he first met him.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s been a summer of viral dunks for the 6-foot-2 recruit
Las Vegas Saturday Recap: Bennie Boatwright, Justin Simon lead Dream Vision into adidas Super 64 semis
Jul 27, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Also some notes on junior college guard Andre Spight and 2015 guard Justin Foreman.
AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level
Jul 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
AAU Nationals and the Super Showcase continued on Saturday in Louisville.
Jul 26, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
North Carolina is the latest school making the positive step of looking to help its former athletes obtain their college degrees.
Jul 26, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Meeks has lost nearly 50 pounds.
Jul 26, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
With Saint Louis losing five experienced seniors, the incoming freshman class could be expected to contribute immediately this season.
Jul 26, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Two top five players in the Class of 2016 were sent home.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
Brown also mentioned plans of taking an unofficial visit to UCLA following adidas Nations.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
USA Basketball has a lot of talent in the building this week for the U17 World Championship camp.
AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment
Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
AAU Nationals and Super Showcase continued on Friday in Louisville.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida commit KeVaughn Allen had a great week at Peach Jam.
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)