Jan 21, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
Utah State had won 13 straight games heading into this weekend’s road trip, where the Aggies would be visiting both New Mexico State and Denver, the two teams that they were competing with at the top of the WAC standings.
USU came out of the weekend 0-2, but the story of the weekend was much, much worse that simply losing two road games to league foes.
Both Preston Medlin and Kyisean Reed left in the second half of Thursday’s game with NMSU, and they won’t be returning anytime soon.
Medlin will be out for 6-8 weeks after breaking his wrist. Reed? He’s done for the year with a torn ACL.
“First and foremost is our concern for Kyisean and Preston. This is as tough as it gets and we hurt for them first and our team second,” head coach Stew Morrill said. “We expect our players to step up and compete, as we have a lot of season left.”
Medlin was Utah State’s leading scorer at 16.3 points, but he was averaging 22.0 points through USU’s first five WAC games. Kyisean Reed is the team’s best defender and averages 12.1 points and 6.5 boards. Utah State is already without Danny Berger, who nearly died as the result of a heart attack he suffered in practice earlier this year, meaning the Aggies have lost three of their top five players.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)