Jan 21, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
Utah State had won 13 straight games heading into this weekend’s road trip, where the Aggies would be visiting both New Mexico State and Denver, the two teams that they were competing with at the top of the WAC standings.
USU came out of the weekend 0-2, but the story of the weekend was much, much worse that simply losing two road games to league foes.
Both Preston Medlin and Kyisean Reed left in the second half of Thursday’s game with NMSU, and they won’t be returning anytime soon.
Medlin will be out for 6-8 weeks after breaking his wrist. Reed? He’s done for the year with a torn ACL.
“First and foremost is our concern for Kyisean and Preston. This is as tough as it gets and we hurt for them first and our team second,” head coach Stew Morrill said. “We expect our players to step up and compete, as we have a lot of season left.”
Medlin was Utah State’s leading scorer at 16.3 points, but he was averaging 22.0 points through USU’s first five WAC games. Kyisean Reed is the team’s best defender and averages 12.1 points and 6.5 boards. Utah State is already without Danny Berger, who nearly died as the result of a heart attack he suffered in practice earlier this year, meaning the Aggies have lost three of their top five players.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)