Jan 22, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Former Providence forward James Still has been sentenced to 15 years in prison with four to serve after being found guilty of assaulting a fellow student in 2010, leaving the victim with 16 facial fractures and a permanently altered appearance, the Providence Journal is reporting.
Still, who played one season at Providence in 2009-10 and is now 22 years old, was arrested after he and an accomplice committed felony assault against Yerkin Abdrakhmanov, a student at Providence. According to the report, Still and the accomplice had been drinking and while walking near campus decided that “for no good reason they would beat the first person they next encountered.”
Johnnie Lacy, Still’s accomplice, was sentenced to 15 years in prison with three to serve.
Both Still and Lacy were members of the Providence basketball team in 2009-10, with Still averaging one point per game in just under six minutes per game. He is a native of Detroit, Mich.
Still played in two games for Eastern Michigan this season, but was dismissed from the team on Nov. 16. To read more, click here.
- 2014 Big Ten Tournament Preview: Can Michigan State turn things around? 0
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)