Jan 22, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Former Providence forward James Still has been sentenced to 15 years in prison with four to serve after being found guilty of assaulting a fellow student in 2010, leaving the victim with 16 facial fractures and a permanently altered appearance, the Providence Journal is reporting.
Still, who played one season at Providence in 2009-10 and is now 22 years old, was arrested after he and an accomplice committed felony assault against Yerkin Abdrakhmanov, a student at Providence. According to the report, Still and the accomplice had been drinking and while walking near campus decided that “for no good reason they would beat the first person they next encountered.”
Johnnie Lacy, Still’s accomplice, was sentenced to 15 years in prison with three to serve.
Both Still and Lacy were members of the Providence basketball team in 2009-10, with Still averaging one point per game in just under six minutes per game. He is a native of Detroit, Mich.
Still played in two games for Eastern Michigan this season, but was dismissed from the team on Nov. 16. To read more, click here.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 28
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (30)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)