Jan 22, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
North Carolina got their name on the board in the Class of 2014 as they landed a commitment from Joel Berry, a Florida native and the No. 22 player in the class, according to Rivals.
Berry has drawn praise from the recruiting pundits for being a capable scorer, an excellent leader and a player that thrives in transition, which just about makes him the perfect fit for North Carolina’s uptempo system.
But that doesn’t meaning the signing isn’t intriguing.
The Tar Heels currently have Marcus Paige at the point guard spot. Coming in next season will be another blue-chip point guard in Nate Britt. How are they all going to get minutes at the point? (Hint: they’re not.) Paige could be effective off the ball, as he’s more of a natural scorer as it is. But Britt and Berry are pure point guards.
Maybe Roy Williams is trying to prevent a reoccurrence on this season, where he lost a star point guard — Kendall Marshall — to the NBA a year earlier than expected and was forced to roll the dice with a freshman running the show.
(Image via USA Basketball)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)