Jan 22, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
North Carolina got their name on the board in the Class of 2014 as they landed a commitment from Joel Berry, a Florida native and the No. 22 player in the class, according to Rivals.
Berry has drawn praise from the recruiting pundits for being a capable scorer, an excellent leader and a player that thrives in transition, which just about makes him the perfect fit for North Carolina’s uptempo system.
But that doesn’t meaning the signing isn’t intriguing.
The Tar Heels currently have Marcus Paige at the point guard spot. Coming in next season will be another blue-chip point guard in Nate Britt. How are they all going to get minutes at the point? (Hint: they’re not.) Paige could be effective off the ball, as he’s more of a natural scorer as it is. But Britt and Berry are pure point guards.
Maybe Roy Williams is trying to prevent a reoccurrence on this season, where he lost a star point guard — Kendall Marshall — to the NBA a year earlier than expected and was forced to roll the dice with a freshman running the show.
(Image via USA Basketball)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)