Jan 22, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
North Carolina got their name on the board in the Class of 2014 as they landed a commitment from Joel Berry, a Florida native and the No. 22 player in the class, according to Rivals.
Berry has drawn praise from the recruiting pundits for being a capable scorer, an excellent leader and a player that thrives in transition, which just about makes him the perfect fit for North Carolina’s uptempo system.
But that doesn’t meaning the signing isn’t intriguing.
The Tar Heels currently have Marcus Paige at the point guard spot. Coming in next season will be another blue-chip point guard in Nate Britt. How are they all going to get minutes at the point? (Hint: they’re not.) Paige could be effective off the ball, as he’s more of a natural scorer as it is. But Britt and Berry are pure point guards.
Maybe Roy Williams is trying to prevent a reoccurrence on this season, where he lost a star point guard — Kendall Marshall — to the NBA a year earlier than expected and was forced to roll the dice with a freshman running the show.
(Image via USA Basketball)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)