Jan 22, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
North Carolina got their name on the board in the Class of 2014 as they landed a commitment from Joel Berry, a Florida native and the No. 22 player in the class, according to Rivals.
Berry has drawn praise from the recruiting pundits for being a capable scorer, an excellent leader and a player that thrives in transition, which just about makes him the perfect fit for North Carolina’s uptempo system.
But that doesn’t meaning the signing isn’t intriguing.
The Tar Heels currently have Marcus Paige at the point guard spot. Coming in next season will be another blue-chip point guard in Nate Britt. How are they all going to get minutes at the point? (Hint: they’re not.) Paige could be effective off the ball, as he’s more of a natural scorer as it is. But Britt and Berry are pure point guards.
Maybe Roy Williams is trying to prevent a reoccurrence on this season, where he lost a star point guard — Kendall Marshall — to the NBA a year earlier than expected and was forced to roll the dice with a freshman running the show.
(Image via USA Basketball)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)