Jan 22, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Five players scored in double figures for Villanova as the unranked Wildcats upset No. 5 Louisville, 73-64, at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Penn.
JayVaughn Pinkston brought the interior presence that Villanova needed against the Louisville frontcourt, tallying 13 points and seven rebounds. He worked through foul trouble in the second half and managed to stay on the floor.
Trailing by two points at halftime, Louisville fought back in the second half to gain the lead and push it to six points, 52-46, with 8:28 to play.
But the lack of fundamental discipline began to eat away at Louisville. Villanova went on a 7-0 run over the next four minutes. In that time span, Louisville missed four free throws and turned the ball over twice.
The Cardinals forced Villanova into foul trouble and got to the line Tuesday night, but were unable to convert.
While Villanova’s Daniel Ochefu and Achraf Yacoubou fouled out and Pinkston struggled with foul trouble, Louisville shot just 12-of-24 from the line for 50 percent.
Coach Rick Pitino’s team came into Tuesday’s game shooting 71 percent as a team from the free throw stripe.
To add to that struggle, Louisville turned the ball over 17 times, up from their team average of 12 on the year. The veteran backcourt of Peyton Siva and Russ Smith combined for eight of those turnovers.
For more analysis, check out the Instant Replay from CSNPhilly.com.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)