Jan 22, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
Five players scored in double figures for Villanova as the unranked Wildcats upset No. 5 Louisville, 73-64, at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Penn.
JayVaughn Pinkston brought the interior presence that Villanova needed against the Louisville frontcourt, tallying 13 points and seven rebounds. He worked through foul trouble in the second half and managed to stay on the floor.
Trailing by two points at halftime, Louisville fought back in the second half to gain the lead and push it to six points, 52-46, with 8:28 to play.
But the lack of fundamental discipline began to eat away at Louisville. Villanova went on a 7-0 run over the next four minutes. In that time span, Louisville missed four free throws and turned the ball over twice.
The Cardinals forced Villanova into foul trouble and got to the line Tuesday night, but were unable to convert.
While Villanova’s Daniel Ochefu and Achraf Yacoubou fouled out and Pinkston struggled with foul trouble, Louisville shot just 12-of-24 from the line for 50 percent.
Coach Rick Pitino’s team came into Tuesday’s game shooting 71 percent as a team from the free throw stripe.
To add to that struggle, Louisville turned the ball over 17 times, up from their team average of 12 on the year. The veteran backcourt of Peyton Siva and Russ Smith combined for eight of those turnovers.
For more analysis, check out the Instant Replay from CSNPhilly.com.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)