Jan 22, 2013, 1:57 PM EST
Game of the Day: No. 3 Kansas at No. 11 Kansas State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
As frustrating as it may be for some folks that live outside the state of Kansas, the Sunflower Showdown may end up only being available to some of you on an online stream. Frankly, that would be unfortunate, as the Jayhawks are looking to strengthen their in-state rivalry with the Wildcats, replacing what was lost when Missouri headed off to the SEC.
Everything about this matchup should be awesome. This is arguably the best Kansas State team since Jacob Pullen and Denis Clemente were manning the back court for Frank Martin, and that group had the Octagon of Doom — also known as Bramlage Coliseum — rocking for every home game. KU has won 44 of the last 47 meeting between the two schools, but this is a different Kansas State program than it was two decades ago.
The best part about this matchup? The best player on both teams — Ben McLemore and Rodney McGruder — play the same position. They’ll likely spend the majority of the game guarding each other. I ain’t complaining.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 13 Michigan State at Wisconsin (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
We already know that the Badgers are capable of beating anyone in the country this season, as evidenced by their win at Indiana last week. And we also know that they can go out and lay an egg against anyone in the country, with the proof being the 30-10 hole their dug themselves against Iowa in the very next game. The Badgers don’t commit turnovers, they rebound the ball very well on the defensive end of the floor and they are always going to be a tough out at the Kohl Center. The Spartans have a nice record and a couple of quality wins, but they’ve yet to do anything that would make an observer think they are a dominant force this season.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Tulane at Memphis (8:00 p.m. ET)
This isn’t really a mid-major matchup, but there aren’t really any mid-major matchups today. Memphis is once again dealing with a moody Tarik Black, and they are going to have to figure out a way to control Tulane’s 1-2 punch of Josh Davis and Ricky Tarrant.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Kentucky is far from a lock for the NCAA tournament right now. If they are going to avoid the embarrassment of following up a national title and preceding the 2013’s ridiculous recruiting class with a trip to the NIT, than the Wildcats are going to have to do things like go into Tuscaloosa and knock off a tough, physical Alabama team. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
2) Iowa is coming off of a win over Wisconsin, but it came at home. Can the Hawkeyes pull off an upset and truly thrust themselves into the NCAA tournament conversation at No. 14 Ohio State? (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten)
3) This may make things difficult for No. 22 Missouri tonight:
Frank Haith announces that Laurence Bowers (knee) and Keion Bell (ankle) are out Tuesday with injuries and E. Ross is a game time decision.—
Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouHoops) January 21, 2013
4) Both Illinois and Pitt have been up and down this season, and both head on the road to take on teams at the bottom of their respective conference. Illinois heads to Nebraska (8:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten) while Pitt visits Providence (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3).
5) The perfect recipe for Maryand’s offensive struggles: Boston College’s 212th ranked defense. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
The Top 25
- No. 3 Kansas at No. 11 Kansas State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 5 Louisville at Villanova (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 13 Michigan State at Wisconsin (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Iowa at No. 14 Ohio State (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten)
- No. 18 NC State at Wake Forest (7:00 p.m. ESPN3)
- South Carolina at No. 22 Missouri (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Jake Layman didn’t want to get dunked on.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
Robbie Berwick is not going to like seeing this highlight.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Auburn will be without second-leading scorer Antoine Mason as he deals with the death of his father.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Marist’s Khallid Hart made the game-winning layup with 1.5 seconds left for the win.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A huge Saturday with 150 games and a lot of bubble action.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Here’s the rundown from Friday night.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
An off-campus altercation back in 2010 led to a year-long suspension for the Villanova forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Jim Boeheim goes back almost nine years to describe Rakeem Christmas’ importance to this year’s team.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The starting guard has missed the last 11 games.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
This isn’t the first time he’s done this in a game.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
The Vandy coach was quick to apology following last night’s incident.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EST
Derrick Walton Jr. hasn’t played in just over a month, but he’s still bothered by an issue with his right foot.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
Floyd was ejected with 10:05 remaining in the Miners’ 77-60 loss at Louisiana Tech, and he failed to leave the court in a timely manner.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
Billy Donovan would like to see his veteran forward make some strides in the commitment department moving forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
On the heels of St. John’s last NCAA appearance in 2011, seven players joined the program. Three remain, and their aim is to get to the Big Dance as seniors.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Also of note is the second meeting of the season between rivals Iona and Manhattan.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Shooting 7-for-10 from three over the last two games, Gabe York has hit multiple three-pointers in consecutive games for the first time since mid-December. That’s a good development for Arizona.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:01 AM EST
While the Wildcats continue to roll along, other one-seeds are up for discussion as the season moves into the month of March.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:55 AM EST
Leading by six with 34 seconds remaining in regulation, Michigan State looked to be on their way to a home win over Minnesota. Then they fouled three-point shooters on two separate occasions.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:07 AM EST
I hope you’re ready for a thrilling day of hoops.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)