Jan 22, 2013, 1:57 PM EST
Game of the Day: No. 3 Kansas at No. 11 Kansas State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
As frustrating as it may be for some folks that live outside the state of Kansas, the Sunflower Showdown may end up only being available to some of you on an online stream. Frankly, that would be unfortunate, as the Jayhawks are looking to strengthen their in-state rivalry with the Wildcats, replacing what was lost when Missouri headed off to the SEC.
Everything about this matchup should be awesome. This is arguably the best Kansas State team since Jacob Pullen and Denis Clemente were manning the back court for Frank Martin, and that group had the Octagon of Doom — also known as Bramlage Coliseum — rocking for every home game. KU has won 44 of the last 47 meeting between the two schools, but this is a different Kansas State program than it was two decades ago.
The best part about this matchup? The best player on both teams — Ben McLemore and Rodney McGruder — play the same position. They’ll likely spend the majority of the game guarding each other. I ain’t complaining.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 13 Michigan State at Wisconsin (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
We already know that the Badgers are capable of beating anyone in the country this season, as evidenced by their win at Indiana last week. And we also know that they can go out and lay an egg against anyone in the country, with the proof being the 30-10 hole their dug themselves against Iowa in the very next game. The Badgers don’t commit turnovers, they rebound the ball very well on the defensive end of the floor and they are always going to be a tough out at the Kohl Center. The Spartans have a nice record and a couple of quality wins, but they’ve yet to do anything that would make an observer think they are a dominant force this season.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Tulane at Memphis (8:00 p.m. ET)
This isn’t really a mid-major matchup, but there aren’t really any mid-major matchups today. Memphis is once again dealing with a moody Tarik Black, and they are going to have to figure out a way to control Tulane’s 1-2 punch of Josh Davis and Ricky Tarrant.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Kentucky is far from a lock for the NCAA tournament right now. If they are going to avoid the embarrassment of following up a national title and preceding the 2013’s ridiculous recruiting class with a trip to the NIT, than the Wildcats are going to have to do things like go into Tuscaloosa and knock off a tough, physical Alabama team. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
2) Iowa is coming off of a win over Wisconsin, but it came at home. Can the Hawkeyes pull off an upset and truly thrust themselves into the NCAA tournament conversation at No. 14 Ohio State? (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten)
3) This may make things difficult for No. 22 Missouri tonight:
Frank Haith announces that Laurence Bowers (knee) and Keion Bell (ankle) are out Tuesday with injuries and E. Ross is a game time decision.—
Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouHoops) January 21, 2013
4) Both Illinois and Pitt have been up and down this season, and both head on the road to take on teams at the bottom of their respective conference. Illinois heads to Nebraska (8:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten) while Pitt visits Providence (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3).
5) The perfect recipe for Maryand’s offensive struggles: Boston College’s 212th ranked defense. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
The Top 25
- No. 3 Kansas at No. 11 Kansas State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 5 Louisville at Villanova (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 13 Michigan State at Wisconsin (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Iowa at No. 14 Ohio State (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten)
- No. 18 NC State at Wake Forest (7:00 p.m. ESPN3)
- South Carolina at No. 22 Missouri (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Coach K goes for win No. 1,000 against St. John’s and a fun battle of elite freshmen guards in the Big Ten are Sunday’s highlights.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:05 AM EST
I feel comfortable saying I’m a better dancer than Josh Pastner. Not by much, though.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
Get caught up on everything that has happened in college basketball on Saturday.
Northwestern State staff wears special pants for ‘Suits and Sneakers’ game against McNeese State (PHOTO)
Jan 24, 2015, 11:34 PM EST
The pants worn by the coaching staff were one of the highlights in Northwestern State’s 92-68 win over McNeese State.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:31 PM EST
Crawford and his teammates are looking to rebound from the 18-point loss they suffered at Tulsa Wednesday night.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Peel finished the game with 17 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks as the Blue Devils picked up their first win in NEC play.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Baylor really needed this win, but Oklahoma has now lost three of their last four.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The Tribe bounced back from a loss at Delaware earlier in the week to move into a tie for first in the CAA.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:46 PM EST
Texas Tech hit its first five three-pointers and led by as many as 19 points in the first half of their 78-73 win over the Cyclones.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Bonkers is the only way to describe this finish.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:52 PM EST
“We are still the best team in the Big 12″ — Kansas, on Saturday.
Ohio’s Maurice Ndour beats the buzzer with a dunk after full-court inbound pass for last-second win (VIDEO)
Jan 24, 2015, 4:27 PM EST
What an unbelievable finish in the MAC.
Jan 24, 2015, 3:14 PM EST
Wilson dunks all over Georgetown’s Paul White.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
Clemson’s Josh Smith is the early hero of Saturday.
Jan 24, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
White is the leading scorer and rebounder for the Hawkeyes.
Jan 24, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Northeastern and William & Mary clash on NBCSN.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:15 PM EST
Walk-ons receiving scholarships will never get old.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
The College of Charleston battles Drexel in a CAA clash on NBCSN.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Pitt will officially be without a wing for the rest of the season.
Maryland, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Wichita State will get ‘Hard Knocks’ treatment in new all-access show
Jan 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Four of the top programs in college basketball will allow Showtime to film them extensively for a new all-access show that is supposed to be similar to HBO’s popular football series “Hard Knocks.”
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)