Jan 22, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 3 Kansas at No. 11 Kansas State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
As frustrating as it may be for some folks that live outside the state of Kansas, the Sunflower Showdown may end up only being available to some of you on an online stream. Frankly, that would be unfortunate, as the Jayhawks are looking to strengthen their in-state rivalry with the Wildcats, replacing what was lost when Missouri headed off to the SEC.
Everything about this matchup should be awesome. This is arguably the best Kansas State team since Jacob Pullen and Denis Clemente were manning the back court for Frank Martin, and that group had the Octagon of Doom — also known as Bramlage Coliseum — rocking for every home game. KU has won 44 of the last 47 meeting between the two schools, but this is a different Kansas State program than it was two decades ago.
The best part about this matchup? The best player on both teams — Ben McLemore and Rodney McGruder — play the same position. They’ll likely spend the majority of the game guarding each other. I ain’t complaining.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 13 Michigan State at Wisconsin (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
We already know that the Badgers are capable of beating anyone in the country this season, as evidenced by their win at Indiana last week. And we also know that they can go out and lay an egg against anyone in the country, with the proof being the 30-10 hole their dug themselves against Iowa in the very next game. The Badgers don’t commit turnovers, they rebound the ball very well on the defensive end of the floor and they are always going to be a tough out at the Kohl Center. The Spartans have a nice record and a couple of quality wins, but they’ve yet to do anything that would make an observer think they are a dominant force this season.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Tulane at Memphis (8:00 p.m. ET)
This isn’t really a mid-major matchup, but there aren’t really any mid-major matchups today. Memphis is once again dealing with a moody Tarik Black, and they are going to have to figure out a way to control Tulane’s 1-2 punch of Josh Davis and Ricky Tarrant.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Kentucky is far from a lock for the NCAA tournament right now. If they are going to avoid the embarrassment of following up a national title and preceding the 2013’s ridiculous recruiting class with a trip to the NIT, than the Wildcats are going to have to do things like go into Tuscaloosa and knock off a tough, physical Alabama team. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
2) Iowa is coming off of a win over Wisconsin, but it came at home. Can the Hawkeyes pull off an upset and truly thrust themselves into the NCAA tournament conversation at No. 14 Ohio State? (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten)
3) This may make things difficult for No. 22 Missouri tonight:
Frank Haith announces that Laurence Bowers (knee) and Keion Bell (ankle) are out Tuesday with injuries and E. Ross is a game time decision.—
Mizzou Basketball (@MizzouHoops) January 21, 2013
4) Both Illinois and Pitt have been up and down this season, and both head on the road to take on teams at the bottom of their respective conference. Illinois heads to Nebraska (8:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten) while Pitt visits Providence (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3).
5) The perfect recipe for Maryand’s offensive struggles: Boston College’s 212th ranked defense. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
The Top 25
- No. 3 Kansas at No. 11 Kansas State (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 5 Louisville at Villanova (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 13 Michigan State at Wisconsin (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Iowa at No. 14 Ohio State (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten)
- No. 18 NC State at Wake Forest (7:00 p.m. ESPN3)
- South Carolina at No. 22 Missouri (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Thought the recent debate about USA Basketball and advantages gained by college coaches was getting tiresome?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Fortune Magazine has the Krzyzewski and Staley ranked 20th (along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich) on the list.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
The NCAA is hoping to have two lawsuits dismissed, with the plaintiffs in those suits arguing otherwise. And three U.S. senators voiced their displeasure with the lack of progress being made by the NCAA.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Lorenzo Romar spoke positively of Robert Upshaw’s progress, and with the Huskies’ lack of interior depth the Fresno State transfer will be a key figure this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)