Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Thad Matta got a raise and a contract extension, both of which were probably deserved given his success at the program.
He’s now under contract until July of 2019, having gotten a 10% raise that bumps his salary to $3.2 million annually. Matta is 234-69 after taking over a program in 2004 that Jim O’Brien left on probation. He’s won five of the last seen Big Ten regular season titles and three conference tournament titles during that span. Throw in a pair of Final Fours and a steady stream of first round picks, and Matta has built Ohio State back into one of the nation’s elite programs.
So it’s not a surprise that the Buckeyes rewarded him.
What is a surprise is that Matta will now be under contract until he is 52 years old, which means that he’s only 45 right now. How many people would have guessed that?
Perhaps more surprising is this point brought up by Matt Norlander:
Shocking: Thad Matta is younger than Tim Miles, and both are younger than Anthony Grant.—
Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 22, 2013
This guy is 46 years old.
He looks younger than me.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0