Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Thad Matta got a raise and a contract extension, both of which were probably deserved given his success at the program.
He’s now under contract until July of 2019, having gotten a 10% raise that bumps his salary to $3.2 million annually. Matta is 234-69 after taking over a program in 2004 that Jim O’Brien left on probation. He’s won five of the last seen Big Ten regular season titles and three conference tournament titles during that span. Throw in a pair of Final Fours and a steady stream of first round picks, and Matta has built Ohio State back into one of the nation’s elite programs.
So it’s not a surprise that the Buckeyes rewarded him.
What is a surprise is that Matta will now be under contract until he is 52 years old, which means that he’s only 45 right now. How many people would have guessed that?
Perhaps more surprising is this point brought up by Matt Norlander:
Shocking: Thad Matta is younger than Tim Miles, and both are younger than Anthony Grant.—
Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 22, 2013
This guy is 46 years old.
He looks younger than me.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)