Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Thad Matta got a raise and a contract extension, both of which were probably deserved given his success at the program.
He’s now under contract until July of 2019, having gotten a 10% raise that bumps his salary to $3.2 million annually. Matta is 234-69 after taking over a program in 2004 that Jim O’Brien left on probation. He’s won five of the last seen Big Ten regular season titles and three conference tournament titles during that span. Throw in a pair of Final Fours and a steady stream of first round picks, and Matta has built Ohio State back into one of the nation’s elite programs.
So it’s not a surprise that the Buckeyes rewarded him.
What is a surprise is that Matta will now be under contract until he is 52 years old, which means that he’s only 45 right now. How many people would have guessed that?
Perhaps more surprising is this point brought up by Matt Norlander:
Shocking: Thad Matta is younger than Tim Miles, and both are younger than Anthony Grant.—
Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 22, 2013
This guy is 46 years old.
He looks younger than me.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)