Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Thad Matta got a raise and a contract extension, both of which were probably deserved given his success at the program.
He’s now under contract until July of 2019, having gotten a 10% raise that bumps his salary to $3.2 million annually. Matta is 234-69 after taking over a program in 2004 that Jim O’Brien left on probation. He’s won five of the last seen Big Ten regular season titles and three conference tournament titles during that span. Throw in a pair of Final Fours and a steady stream of first round picks, and Matta has built Ohio State back into one of the nation’s elite programs.
So it’s not a surprise that the Buckeyes rewarded him.
What is a surprise is that Matta will now be under contract until he is 52 years old, which means that he’s only 45 right now. How many people would have guessed that?
Perhaps more surprising is this point brought up by Matt Norlander:
Shocking: Thad Matta is younger than Tim Miles, and both are younger than Anthony Grant.—
Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 22, 2013
This guy is 46 years old.
He looks younger than me.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)