Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Thad Matta got a raise and a contract extension, both of which were probably deserved given his success at the program.
He’s now under contract until July of 2019, having gotten a 10% raise that bumps his salary to $3.2 million annually. Matta is 234-69 after taking over a program in 2004 that Jim O’Brien left on probation. He’s won five of the last seen Big Ten regular season titles and three conference tournament titles during that span. Throw in a pair of Final Fours and a steady stream of first round picks, and Matta has built Ohio State back into one of the nation’s elite programs.
So it’s not a surprise that the Buckeyes rewarded him.
What is a surprise is that Matta will now be under contract until he is 52 years old, which means that he’s only 45 right now. How many people would have guessed that?
Perhaps more surprising is this point brought up by Matt Norlander:
Shocking: Thad Matta is younger than Tim Miles, and both are younger than Anthony Grant.—
Matt Norlander (@MattNorlander) January 22, 2013
This guy is 46 years old.
He looks younger than me.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)