Jan 23, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
In line with Wednesday’s theme of Top 25 upsets, unranked Drake used 20 points from guard Richard Carter to beat No. 17 Creighton, 74-69, at Knapp Center in Des Moines, Iowa.
Trailing by five with 0:33 remaining, Creighton senior Grant Gibbs drove to the basket and absorbed a foul, finishing the layup and hitting the ensuing free throw to pull Creighton within two points, 71-69.
On the Drake in-bound, the ball was stolen by sophomore Will Artino, who called a timeout. Gibbs couldn’t finish a layup with 9.2 seconds to play and Creighton fouled.
Carter hit one of two free throws to put Drake up by three, 72-69. Creighton brought the ball up for a final possession, looking to tie, but a pass to the left wing was stolen by Ben Simons to seal the game.
Creighton trailed by 17 points at halftime, but used an 18-4 second-half run to pull within two points, 51-49, with 12:24 to play. It was the ultimate “bend but don’t break” game for Drake.
Creighton star Doug McDermott finished with 21 points and six rebounds while battling flu-like symptoms. Reports were that he vomited at halftime. Likely because of that, he struggled with just four points in the second half, despite the Bluejays’ comeback.
For Creighton, the Bluejays have lost two in a row, including this one to previously 8-10 Drake.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)