Jan 23, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
In line with Wednesday’s theme of Top 25 upsets, unranked Drake used 20 points from guard Richard Carter to beat No. 17 Creighton, 74-69, at Knapp Center in Des Moines, Iowa.
Trailing by five with 0:33 remaining, Creighton senior Grant Gibbs drove to the basket and absorbed a foul, finishing the layup and hitting the ensuing free throw to pull Creighton within two points, 71-69.
On the Drake in-bound, the ball was stolen by sophomore Will Artino, who called a timeout. Gibbs couldn’t finish a layup with 9.2 seconds to play and Creighton fouled.
Carter hit one of two free throws to put Drake up by three, 72-69. Creighton brought the ball up for a final possession, looking to tie, but a pass to the left wing was stolen by Ben Simons to seal the game.
Creighton trailed by 17 points at halftime, but used an 18-4 second-half run to pull within two points, 51-49, with 12:24 to play. It was the ultimate “bend but don’t break” game for Drake.
Creighton star Doug McDermott finished with 21 points and six rebounds while battling flu-like symptoms. Reports were that he vomited at halftime. Likely because of that, he struggled with just four points in the second half, despite the Bluejays’ comeback.
For Creighton, the Bluejays have lost two in a row, including this one to previously 8-10 Drake.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)