Jan 23, 2013, 11:19 PM EDT
Drexel was picked to win the Colonial Athletic Association this season, but as a result of injuries and inconsistent play during the first two months of the year, the Dragons have been a bit of a disappointment.
How bad has it been? The team that won 18 straight games at the end of last season had yet to have a winning streak this season.
That all changed on Wednesday night thanks to Frantz Massenat, who hit a 50-foot heave at the buzzer to beat Hofstra, 55-52:
“They hit a tough shot from three to tie the game,” Massenat told NBCSports.com after the game. “I think they called timeout so we went into the huddle and just drew up the play. Right before I left, one of our coaches said ‘No matter what, go get the ball.’ So we go out on the court and I go get the ball and two guys come to double team me. … I noticed they backed up and I split the double team.”
And you let it fly?
“It was looking good the whole time,” Massenat said with a laugh.
Making the shot all the more special is that this was not only the first buzzer-beater that the junior point guard has hit in his life, it came in front of his friends and family. This was somewhat of a homecoming game for Massenat, as he is a native of New Jersey.
“My mom, my dad, my cousins and my aunt, a lot of friends from the area,” Massenat said of his extended guest list. “I was excited. I’m still excited. I keep watching it over and over.”
Massenat said that he hopes that this shot can reinvigorate his team and get them on a winning streak. They are now 3-3 in the CAA, and while they have a long way to go to catch league leader Northeastern, who is sitting at 7-0 after a double-overtime win against William & Mary, the Dragons are just a game in the loss column behind George Mason for second place in the league.
But all that can be worried about tomorrow.
Tonight is Frantz’s night.
“I always wanted to be on Sportscenter’s top ten plays,” he said. “Hopefully today will be my day.”
I think it will be.
Here’s another angle of the shot. Hofstra was claiming that he traveled. You be the judge:
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)