Jan 23, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
North Carolina has suspended guard Leslie McDonald for three games for an undisclosed reason, the school announced in a statement Wednesday.
According to UNC coach Roy Williams, McDonald “did not do what we expect of our student-athletes,” in dealing with his responsibilities as a student-athlete.
The announcement comes hours before the Tar Heels were set to take on Georgia Tech Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET.
McDonald had missed North Carolina’s last three games with a knee injury, games in which the Tar Heels have gone 2-1. According to reports, he was medically cleared to return to game action this week, but the suspension will now keep him sidelined until Feb. 2 vs. Virginia Tech.
On the season, he is averaging 8.4 points and 2.1 rebounds per game. His best game of the season came in a Dec. 1 win over UAB when he scored 24 points and dished out five assists.
McDonald did not suit up for the Tar Heels last season while dealing with a knee injury.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 11
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)