Jan 23, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
North Carolina has suspended guard Leslie McDonald for three games for an undisclosed reason, the school announced in a statement Wednesday.
According to UNC coach Roy Williams, McDonald “did not do what we expect of our student-athletes,” in dealing with his responsibilities as a student-athlete.
The announcement comes hours before the Tar Heels were set to take on Georgia Tech Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET.
McDonald had missed North Carolina’s last three games with a knee injury, games in which the Tar Heels have gone 2-1. According to reports, he was medically cleared to return to game action this week, but the suspension will now keep him sidelined until Feb. 2 vs. Virginia Tech.
On the season, he is averaging 8.4 points and 2.1 rebounds per game. His best game of the season came in a Dec. 1 win over UAB when he scored 24 points and dished out five assists.
McDonald did not suit up for the Tar Heels last season while dealing with a knee injury.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)