Jan 23, 2013, 8:44 AM EST
Despite shooting 38 percent from the floor Michigan State ground out a win Tuesday night on the road against Wisconsin, 49-47, at Kohl Center in Madison, Wisc.
Keith Appling, named a team captain this week, led the way offensively for the Spartans with 19 points on 7-of-17 shooting. He also added six rebounds.
In the first half, Michigan State fell into the trap set by Wisconsin shooters. Too relaxed on defense, the Spartans were failing to get hand in the face of three-point threats. The Badgers rarely get out in transition, but were able to in small spurts in the first half and launch from distance.
Michigan State trailed by one point at halftime, 28-27.
Even in the second half, coach Tom Izzo’s team relied heavily on its guards Appling and Branden Dawson. Interior assets Adreian Payne and Derrick Nix, who combined for 22 points in Michigan State’s win over No. 11 Ohio State this past weekend, got just seven shots between them.
This focus on the perimeter perhaps relied too heavily on jump shots and did not make use of Payne and Nix on the block. Credit goes to Wisconsin’s defense as well for denying post entry.
Michigan State has now won six in a row and will face No. 7 Indiana on Sunday.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)