Jan 23, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
For the first time in what seems like a decade, Butler’s magic appears to have worn off.
After Andrew Smith’s third bucket in the final two minutes put Butler up 53-52, South Carolina transfer Ramon Galloway drove the length of the floor, finishing a layup on the left side of the rim with two seconds left on the clock. A prayer from Roosevelt Jones went unanswered, and the Explorers picked up a 54-53 win.
Galloway, who is La Salle’s leading scorer at 17.0 points-per-game, actually had a relatively quiet night. He finished with just six points on 3-10 shooting from the floor. It was Tyreek Duren and Sam Mills that did the heavy lifting for John Giannani’s club, with Duren leading the way with 16 points, six assists, five boards, three steals and two blocks.
La Salle actually has a pretty talented ball-club. Their back court is good enough to matchup with anyone in the conference, and they have a chance to make some noise in the Atlantic 10. For that to happen, however, they need to defend their home court, which is precisely what they did on Wednesday. The Explorers follow this up with a trip to Richmond to take on VCU on Saturday, and with a win there, all of a sudden La Salle is in the bubble picture.
As far as Butler is concerned, this is really the first time that they have looked like they miss Rotnei Clarke. The Bulldogs have a tendency to struggle against teams that have bigger, more athletic back courts, and in the second half, La Salle was able to take the Bulldogs out of some of their sets.
One last note: to those that say the college basketball season doesn’t matter, Galloway was in tears of joy after the win:
Ramon Galloway: “This is an incredible feeling.” He’s crying, tears of joy
— Josh Verlin (@jmverlin) January 24, 2013
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)