Jan 23, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
Notre Dame senior Scott Martin will be sidelined for two to three weeks as he takes time to rest an aching knee, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
There is the possibility, though, that the nagging injury will keep him off the court for the remainder of the year, effectively ending his college career.
Martin, 24, was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA in May that allowed him to suit up for the Fighting Irish this fall. Through 19 games, the Indiana native had been averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game.
In his absence, there is a major void in the Notre Dame rotation that coach Mike Brey must fill.
“Yesterday for me, I was like, how are we going to play?” Brey said Wednesday, as reported by the Tribune. “I still don’t have those answers. I think you’ll see a little bit of everything on Saturday.”
“If they have to play their way into it a little bit, the young guys, we can do that,” Brey continued. “There’s a lot of games left. If we have to learn on the fly for a while to have what need to have in February, that’s what we have to do.”
Notre Dame returns to the floor on Saturday against South Florida.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)