Jan 23, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
Notre Dame senior Scott Martin will be sidelined for two to three weeks as he takes time to rest an aching knee, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
There is the possibility, though, that the nagging injury will keep him off the court for the remainder of the year, effectively ending his college career.
Martin, 24, was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA in May that allowed him to suit up for the Fighting Irish this fall. Through 19 games, the Indiana native had been averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game.
In his absence, there is a major void in the Notre Dame rotation that coach Mike Brey must fill.
“Yesterday for me, I was like, how are we going to play?” Brey said Wednesday, as reported by the Tribune. “I still don’t have those answers. I think you’ll see a little bit of everything on Saturday.”
“If they have to play their way into it a little bit, the young guys, we can do that,” Brey continued. “There’s a lot of games left. If we have to learn on the fly for a while to have what need to have in February, that’s what we have to do.”
Notre Dame returns to the floor on Saturday against South Florida.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)