Jan 23, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
Notre Dame senior Scott Martin will be sidelined for two to three weeks as he takes time to rest an aching knee, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
There is the possibility, though, that the nagging injury will keep him off the court for the remainder of the year, effectively ending his college career.
Martin, 24, was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA in May that allowed him to suit up for the Fighting Irish this fall. Through 19 games, the Indiana native had been averaging 7.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game.
In his absence, there is a major void in the Notre Dame rotation that coach Mike Brey must fill.
“Yesterday for me, I was like, how are we going to play?” Brey said Wednesday, as reported by the Tribune. “I still don’t have those answers. I think you’ll see a little bit of everything on Saturday.”
“If they have to play their way into it a little bit, the young guys, we can do that,” Brey continued. “There’s a lot of games left. If we have to learn on the fly for a while to have what need to have in February, that’s what we have to do.”
Notre Dame returns to the floor on Saturday against South Florida.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 0
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)