Jan 23, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
As if this season hasn’t been bad enough for the Longhorns, they suffered another massive blow on Monday night when starting forward Jonathan Holmes left the game against Oklahoma and returned to the bench with a cast on his right hand.
The Longhorns released the unfortunate news on Tuesday evening: Holmes has a broken bone in the hand. The team did not provide a timetable for his return, although the injury is not believed to be season-ending.
The 6-foot-7 sophomore had been averaging 8.1 points and a team-high 7.4 boards for Rick Barnes. He’s scored 37 points in the last three games prior to getting injured. Texas, who is still without Myck Kabongo, has now lost five straight games and is 8-10 on the year.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)