Jan 24, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Rutgers landed its first commitment in the 2013 class on Thursday morning, as Bronx point guard Shane Rector notified head coach Mike Rice of his decision to attend the school.
The news was first reported by the Newark Star-Ledger, and Rector’s decision to join the program gives the Scarlet Knights yet another option in a backcourt that isn’t expected to lose a player at the end of the 2012-13 campaign.
Eli Carter, Myles Mack and Jerome Seagears will all be juniors next season and wings Vincent Garrett and Malick Kone will have the opportunity to earn minutes due to the graduation of Dane Miller.
Rector gives the Scarlet Knights an athletic lead guard who can beat opponents off the dribble as well as set up his teammates. Rector began his high school career at St. Raymond’s in the Bronx and currently plays at South Kent Prep in Connecticut.
Rutgers has sophomore point guards Myles Mack and Jerome Seagears, who would be juniors when Rector arrives. One or both of those guys could also play off the ball alongside a true point guard.
“I’m just a person that can make plays,” Rector said. “I’m a playmaker. I get my teammates open shots so that will be a good addition to the team.”
Rector played last spring/summer for the Playaz Basketball Club (NJ) and displayed an improved ability to knock down perimeter shots. In games leading up to their appearance in the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam, Rector averaged a team-high 16.7 points per game and shot 56% from the field.
At the Peach Jam he averaged 12.4 points and 3.4 rebounds per game in five games, and Rector is currently averaging 14.5 points and 5.5 assists per game at South Kent Prep.
In addition to Miller, Rutgers will lose fellow senior Austin Johnson at the end of this season. But with Kadeem Jack, Wally Judge and Derrick Randall due back (and Greg Lewis is redshirting this season) the Scarlet Knights won’t lack for bodies inside.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants