Jan 24, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Rutgers landed its first commitment in the 2013 class on Thursday morning, as Bronx point guard Shane Rector notified head coach Mike Rice of his decision to attend the school.
The news was first reported by the Newark Star-Ledger, and Rector’s decision to join the program gives the Scarlet Knights yet another option in a backcourt that isn’t expected to lose a player at the end of the 2012-13 campaign.
Eli Carter, Myles Mack and Jerome Seagears will all be juniors next season and wings Vincent Garrett and Malick Kone will have the opportunity to earn minutes due to the graduation of Dane Miller.
Rector gives the Scarlet Knights an athletic lead guard who can beat opponents off the dribble as well as set up his teammates. Rector began his high school career at St. Raymond’s in the Bronx and currently plays at South Kent Prep in Connecticut.
Rutgers has sophomore point guards Myles Mack and Jerome Seagears, who would be juniors when Rector arrives. One or both of those guys could also play off the ball alongside a true point guard.
“I’m just a person that can make plays,” Rector said. “I’m a playmaker. I get my teammates open shots so that will be a good addition to the team.”
Rector played last spring/summer for the Playaz Basketball Club (NJ) and displayed an improved ability to knock down perimeter shots. In games leading up to their appearance in the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam, Rector averaged a team-high 16.7 points per game and shot 56% from the field.
At the Peach Jam he averaged 12.4 points and 3.4 rebounds per game in five games, and Rector is currently averaging 14.5 points and 5.5 assists per game at South Kent Prep.
In addition to Miller, Rutgers will lose fellow senior Austin Johnson at the end of this season. But with Kadeem Jack, Wally Judge and Derrick Randall due back (and Greg Lewis is redshirting this season) the Scarlet Knights won’t lack for bodies inside.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 21
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (22)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)