Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
College basketball has a different feel this season than it has in year’s past.
Because it’s not dominated by freshmen. There is no Anthony Davis or Kyrie Irving this season. The teams that are built around a recruiting class — Kentucky and UCLA, to name a few — are struggling, not overwhelming. The Player of the Year race includes a pair of seniors, two juniors and a sophomore.
But just because we haven’t seen the second-coming of Kevin Durant or Carmelo Anthony pop-up in the form of a first-year player doesn’t meant that there isn’t some impressive new talent being infused across the country.
Freshman of the Year: Anthony Bennett, UNLV
Bennett has played like a lottery pick through the first two and a half months of the season. He’s a big, strong power forward that’s averaging 18.5 points and 8.8 boards while shooting 56.2% from the field and 40.0% from three. He’s been the Rebel’s most dominant player, but also their best highlight reel; he’s a thunderous dunker in traffic with the handle and quickness to cross a defender over on the perimeter and get to the rim.
The All-Freshman Team:
- G: Jahii Carson, Arizona State: The lightening quick Carson is the biggest reason why the Sun Devils are relevant in the Pac-12 race this season. East-coasters: he’s worth staying up late to watch. (17.3 ppg, 5.2 apg, 3.3 rpg)
- G: Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State: Smart’s shooting numbers are slowly starting to improve, but it’s his ability as a floor leader and defender that makes him so valuable. (13.2 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.7 spg)
- F: Ben McLemore, Kansas: McLemore has a chance to go No. 1 in this year’s NBA Draft. He’s supremely athletic a great finisher at the rim and a lights-out three-point shooter. And he’s still realizing just how good he can be. (16.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 44.6% 3PT)
- F: Anthony Bennett, UNLV
- C: Nerlens Noel, Kentucky: Noel isn’t Anthony Davis, but he’s a long way from being a bust. One of the most dominant defensive forces in the country, Noel’s as athletic as they come and plays the game as hard as anyone. Anyone that calls him a disappointment hasn’t been paying attention. (10.7 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 4.2 bpg, 2.5 spg)
Other Notable Freshmen:
Nik Stauskas, Michigan: An athletic sharpshooter that fits perfectly in with the Wolverine offensive attack. (12.6 ppg, 49.5% 3PT)
Damyeon Dotson, Oregon: The Ducks’ leading scorer is averaging 13.7 points in Pac-12 play. (11.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg)
Shabazz Muhammad, Jordan Adams and Kyle Anderson, UCLA: Ben Howland’s trio of freshmen haven’t been quite as dominant as many expected them to be, but they’ve made UCLA a Pac-12 contender. Anderson’s melded nicely into the point-forward role, which Adams and Muhammad have been able to score on the wings.
Siyani Chambers, Harvard: The biggest reason the Crimson haven’t fallen off as an Ivy League contender is the play of their point guard. (12.7 ppg, 6.1 apg, 47.4% 3PT)
Semaj Christon, Xavier: Xavier is in the thick of the Atlantic 10 race despite being in a “down” year thanks to the Christon’s playmaking at the point. (14.9 ppg, 4.9 apg)
Chris Obekpa, St. John’s: Obekpa is blocking shots at the highest level in the country. His 17.1% block rate leads the nation. (4.6 bpg)
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Thought the recent debate about USA Basketball and advantages gained by college coaches was getting tiresome?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Fortune Magazine has the Krzyzewski and Staley ranked 20th (along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich) on the list.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
The NCAA is hoping to have two lawsuits dismissed, with the plaintiffs in those suits arguing otherwise. And three U.S. senators voiced their displeasure with the lack of progress being made by the NCAA.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Lorenzo Romar spoke positively of Robert Upshaw’s progress, and with the Huskies’ lack of interior depth the Fresno State transfer will be a key figure this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)