Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
College basketball has a different feel this season than it has in year’s past.
Because it’s not dominated by freshmen. There is no Anthony Davis or Kyrie Irving this season. The teams that are built around a recruiting class — Kentucky and UCLA, to name a few — are struggling, not overwhelming. The Player of the Year race includes a pair of seniors, two juniors and a sophomore.
But just because we haven’t seen the second-coming of Kevin Durant or Carmelo Anthony pop-up in the form of a first-year player doesn’t meant that there isn’t some impressive new talent being infused across the country.
Freshman of the Year: Anthony Bennett, UNLV
Bennett has played like a lottery pick through the first two and a half months of the season. He’s a big, strong power forward that’s averaging 18.5 points and 8.8 boards while shooting 56.2% from the field and 40.0% from three. He’s been the Rebel’s most dominant player, but also their best highlight reel; he’s a thunderous dunker in traffic with the handle and quickness to cross a defender over on the perimeter and get to the rim.
The All-Freshman Team:
- G: Jahii Carson, Arizona State: The lightening quick Carson is the biggest reason why the Sun Devils are relevant in the Pac-12 race this season. East-coasters: he’s worth staying up late to watch. (17.3 ppg, 5.2 apg, 3.3 rpg)
- G: Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State: Smart’s shooting numbers are slowly starting to improve, but it’s his ability as a floor leader and defender that makes him so valuable. (13.2 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 4.5 apg, 2.7 spg)
- F: Ben McLemore, Kansas: McLemore has a chance to go No. 1 in this year’s NBA Draft. He’s supremely athletic a great finisher at the rim and a lights-out three-point shooter. And he’s still realizing just how good he can be. (16.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 44.6% 3PT)
- F: Anthony Bennett, UNLV
- C: Nerlens Noel, Kentucky: Noel isn’t Anthony Davis, but he’s a long way from being a bust. One of the most dominant defensive forces in the country, Noel’s as athletic as they come and plays the game as hard as anyone. Anyone that calls him a disappointment hasn’t been paying attention. (10.7 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 4.2 bpg, 2.5 spg)
Other Notable Freshmen:
Nik Stauskas, Michigan: An athletic sharpshooter that fits perfectly in with the Wolverine offensive attack. (12.6 ppg, 49.5% 3PT)
Damyeon Dotson, Oregon: The Ducks’ leading scorer is averaging 13.7 points in Pac-12 play. (11.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg)
Shabazz Muhammad, Jordan Adams and Kyle Anderson, UCLA: Ben Howland’s trio of freshmen haven’t been quite as dominant as many expected them to be, but they’ve made UCLA a Pac-12 contender. Anderson’s melded nicely into the point-forward role, which Adams and Muhammad have been able to score on the wings.
Siyani Chambers, Harvard: The biggest reason the Crimson haven’t fallen off as an Ivy League contender is the play of their point guard. (12.7 ppg, 6.1 apg, 47.4% 3PT)
Semaj Christon, Xavier: Xavier is in the thick of the Atlantic 10 race despite being in a “down” year thanks to the Christon’s playmaking at the point. (14.9 ppg, 4.9 apg)
Chris Obekpa, St. John’s: Obekpa is blocking shots at the highest level in the country. His 17.1% block rate leads the nation. (4.6 bpg)
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to Lexington for his sophomore season.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
After leading Georgia State to 25 wins and a Sun Belt regular season title, Ron Hunter has been rewarded with a contract extension.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski accepting the head coaching position at Marquette, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would account for that departure Friday.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Tulsa has officially hired Frank Haith to be its new basketball coach.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Family and friends of Lacey Holsworth gathered at the Breslin Center to celebrate her life on Thursday.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
After leading Green Bay to a 24-win season, head coach Brian Wardle’s been rewarded with a new five-year contract.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga’s added a fourth member to its 2014 recruiting class, with the son of Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis making his pledge to join the program.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Former Houston players Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas met with an appeals committee Thursday in hopes of getting released from their respective scholarships.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)