Jan 24, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
So Dan Patrick created a bit of a stir this morning when he said on his morning show that, after Duke’s loss to Miami on Wednesday night, his team practiced for more than three hours — from 1:30 a.m. until 4:45 a.m. — the minute they got back to Durham.
Listen for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That would be a problem.
Because it’s illegal, per Rule 184.108.40.206.3:
Countable athletically related activities shall not occur between midnight and 5 a.m.
That would be an NCAA violation, and I think even Ronnie Ramos and Mark Emmert would agree.
Luckily, for Duke fans, it doesn’t look like that practice actually happened. Jeff Goodman, Doug Gottlieb, Andy Katz and basically everyone else with a source at Duke said the same thing. And, as it turns out, the Dan Patrick Show was joking about it more than reporting it:
@jimmweber We were having fun with it. Not reporting it. Some listeners said this would be a great scenario and we goofed on it.
— Paul Pabst (@PaulPabst) January 24, 2013
So, yeah, nothing to see here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (4)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)