Jan 24, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
So Dan Patrick created a bit of a stir this morning when he said on his morning show that, after Duke’s loss to Miami on Wednesday night, his team practiced for more than three hours — from 1:30 a.m. until 4:45 a.m. — the minute they got back to Durham.
Listen for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That would be a problem.
Because it’s illegal, per Rule 22.214.171.124.3:
Countable athletically related activities shall not occur between midnight and 5 a.m.
That would be an NCAA violation, and I think even Ronnie Ramos and Mark Emmert would agree.
Luckily, for Duke fans, it doesn’t look like that practice actually happened. Jeff Goodman, Doug Gottlieb, Andy Katz and basically everyone else with a source at Duke said the same thing. And, as it turns out, the Dan Patrick Show was joking about it more than reporting it:
@jimmweber We were having fun with it. Not reporting it. Some listeners said this would be a great scenario and we goofed on it.
— Paul Pabst (@PaulPabst) January 24, 2013
So, yeah, nothing to see here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)