Jan 24, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
So Dan Patrick created a bit of a stir this morning when he said on his morning show that, after Duke’s loss to Miami on Wednesday night, his team practiced for more than three hours — from 1:30 a.m. until 4:45 a.m. — the minute they got back to Durham.
Listen for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That would be a problem.
Because it’s illegal, per Rule 188.8.131.52.3:
Countable athletically related activities shall not occur between midnight and 5 a.m.
That would be an NCAA violation, and I think even Ronnie Ramos and Mark Emmert would agree.
Luckily, for Duke fans, it doesn’t look like that practice actually happened. Jeff Goodman, Doug Gottlieb, Andy Katz and basically everyone else with a source at Duke said the same thing. And, as it turns out, the Dan Patrick Show was joking about it more than reporting it:
@jimmweber We were having fun with it. Not reporting it. Some listeners said this would be a great scenario and we goofed on it.
— Paul Pabst (@PaulPabst) January 24, 2013
So, yeah, nothing to see here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)