Jan 24, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
So Dan Patrick created a bit of a stir this morning when he said on his morning show that, after Duke’s loss to Miami on Wednesday night, his team practiced for more than three hours — from 1:30 a.m. until 4:45 a.m. — the minute they got back to Durham.
Listen for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That would be a problem.
Because it’s illegal, per Rule 126.96.36.199.3:
Countable athletically related activities shall not occur between midnight and 5 a.m.
That would be an NCAA violation, and I think even Ronnie Ramos and Mark Emmert would agree.
Luckily, for Duke fans, it doesn’t look like that practice actually happened. Jeff Goodman, Doug Gottlieb, Andy Katz and basically everyone else with a source at Duke said the same thing. And, as it turns out, the Dan Patrick Show was joking about it more than reporting it:
@jimmweber We were having fun with it. Not reporting it. Some listeners said this would be a great scenario and we goofed on it.
— Paul Pabst (@PaulPabst) January 24, 2013
So, yeah, nothing to see here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)