Jan 24, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
We all had a good laugh at the NCAA’s expense yesterday after the news came down that they were opening an investigation into improper conduct that happened during an investigation into improper conduct involving NCAA rules.
So, it can be argued, that the NCAA either didn’t know or didn’t pay attention to their own rules involving investigations.
Which isn’t all that dissimilar from the comments made every time the NCAA turns up a rules violation involving a member institution where the punishment seemingly comes out of left field.
Do they really understand their own rulebook?
And, thanks to Marc Isenberg, I think we can almost definitively say no.
Long story short: an NCAA PR official tweeted that Missy Franklin, the Olympic swimmer, was allowed to receive gifts from her favorite singer Justin Bieber. It wasn’t an NCAA violation. But, as Isenberg and Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News pointed out, this wasn’t the case when OJ Mayo was found to have broken NCAA rules by accepting tickets to an NBA game from Carmelo Anthony.
So they called him on it.
And hilarity ensued as the PR official tried to explain how Franklin accepting gifts from Bieber was different than Mayo accepting gifts from Melo.
If you like seeing a clown suit put on the NCAA, do give this a click and a read.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)