Jan 24, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
We all had a good laugh at the NCAA’s expense yesterday after the news came down that they were opening an investigation into improper conduct that happened during an investigation into improper conduct involving NCAA rules.
So, it can be argued, that the NCAA either didn’t know or didn’t pay attention to their own rules involving investigations.
Which isn’t all that dissimilar from the comments made every time the NCAA turns up a rules violation involving a member institution where the punishment seemingly comes out of left field.
Do they really understand their own rulebook?
And, thanks to Marc Isenberg, I think we can almost definitively say no.
Long story short: an NCAA PR official tweeted that Missy Franklin, the Olympic swimmer, was allowed to receive gifts from her favorite singer Justin Bieber. It wasn’t an NCAA violation. But, as Isenberg and Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News pointed out, this wasn’t the case when OJ Mayo was found to have broken NCAA rules by accepting tickets to an NBA game from Carmelo Anthony.
So they called him on it.
And hilarity ensued as the PR official tried to explain how Franklin accepting gifts from Bieber was different than Mayo accepting gifts from Melo.
If you like seeing a clown suit put on the NCAA, do give this a click and a read.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)