Jan 24, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
We all had a good laugh at the NCAA’s expense yesterday after the news came down that they were opening an investigation into improper conduct that happened during an investigation into improper conduct involving NCAA rules.
So, it can be argued, that the NCAA either didn’t know or didn’t pay attention to their own rules involving investigations.
Which isn’t all that dissimilar from the comments made every time the NCAA turns up a rules violation involving a member institution where the punishment seemingly comes out of left field.
Do they really understand their own rulebook?
And, thanks to Marc Isenberg, I think we can almost definitively say no.
Long story short: an NCAA PR official tweeted that Missy Franklin, the Olympic swimmer, was allowed to receive gifts from her favorite singer Justin Bieber. It wasn’t an NCAA violation. But, as Isenberg and Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News pointed out, this wasn’t the case when OJ Mayo was found to have broken NCAA rules by accepting tickets to an NBA game from Carmelo Anthony.
So they called him on it.
And hilarity ensued as the PR official tried to explain how Franklin accepting gifts from Bieber was different than Mayo accepting gifts from Melo.
If you like seeing a clown suit put on the NCAA, do give this a click and a read.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)