Jan 24, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
Less than a week ago Jim Les’ UC Davis Aggies had one of the best shooting nights in school history, tying a school record with 16 made three-pointers and Corey Hawkins scoring a school-record 40 points in their win at Hawaii.
Members of the basketball team will collaborate with members of the UC Davis community on Friday evening in an attempt to break a world record while also raising money for a good cause.
The school is holding an event called “Knockout Slavery,” as they’ll play a massive game of “knockout” (video linked in case for some reason you don’t know how to play this game) with shooters paying $10 apiece to raise money to help in the fight against human trafficking.
The current record for largest game of knockout according to the Guinness Book of World Records is 571, and UC Davis is hoping to eclipse that mark by having some 600 participants.
But in order to do so they’ll need another 200 or so people to sign up for the game, and getting 600 shooters would raise $6,000 for the cause.
Kyle Thomsen, youth pastor at University Covenant Church and director of the event, says this occasion “creates an easy way to fight the injustice of human trafficking and be part of something bigger than oneself. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to participate in something that will make a huge difference while breaking a world record!”
In addition to members of the basketball team, participants will include many of the ministries on campus, UC Davis students and members of the Davis community. Is there someone in town capable of outshooting Hawkins and the other Aggies? Only one way to find out, especially if you’re in the Davis area on Friday.
Photo credit: UC Davis Athletics
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)