Jan 24, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
I’m not sure there is anything that is more closely associated with Duke basketball than slapping the floor defensively.
Whether it was Steve Wojciechowski or Greg Paulus or Jay Williams, that’s what Duke guards did on big defensive possessions. We’ve all seen it.
Which is why what Miami did during last night’s curb-stomping of No. 1 Duke is the ultimate troll. If you haven’t seen the video, here it is:
I love it.
But it gets better. From the Orlando Sun-Sentinel:
And that’s were it gets a little crazier.
UM sophomore guard Shane Larkin was shooting free throws immediately before the slapping.
“I just heard somebody scream my name,” he said. “It was Warren Sapp. He was like like ‘slap the floor on D.”
Warren Sapp, forever talking trash.
Having said all that, I doubt that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga was happy about it. I don’t think he’s going to be happy about the attention that it’s getting today, either. That’s not exactly what one would call ‘sportsmanship’. So while it may have seemed like a great idea last night, I’d be willing to bet that Shane Larkin and company are going to be doing some running to make up for it.
My guess is that it was still worth it.
(h/t Jeff Eisenberg)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (4)