Jan 24, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
I’m not sure there is anything that is more closely associated with Duke basketball than slapping the floor defensively.
Whether it was Steve Wojciechowski or Greg Paulus or Jay Williams, that’s what Duke guards did on big defensive possessions. We’ve all seen it.
Which is why what Miami did during last night’s curb-stomping of No. 1 Duke is the ultimate troll. If you haven’t seen the video, here it is:
I love it.
But it gets better. From the Orlando Sun-Sentinel:
And that’s were it gets a little crazier.
UM sophomore guard Shane Larkin was shooting free throws immediately before the slapping.
“I just heard somebody scream my name,” he said. “It was Warren Sapp. He was like like ‘slap the floor on D.”
Warren Sapp, forever talking trash.
Having said all that, I doubt that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga was happy about it. I don’t think he’s going to be happy about the attention that it’s getting today, either. That’s not exactly what one would call ‘sportsmanship’. So while it may have seemed like a great idea last night, I’d be willing to bet that Shane Larkin and company are going to be doing some running to make up for it.
My guess is that it was still worth it.
(h/t Jeff Eisenberg)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)