Jan 24, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
I’m not sure there is anything that is more closely associated with Duke basketball than slapping the floor defensively.
Whether it was Steve Wojciechowski or Greg Paulus or Jay Williams, that’s what Duke guards did on big defensive possessions. We’ve all seen it.
Which is why what Miami did during last night’s curb-stomping of No. 1 Duke is the ultimate troll. If you haven’t seen the video, here it is:
I love it.
But it gets better. From the Orlando Sun-Sentinel:
And that’s were it gets a little crazier.
UM sophomore guard Shane Larkin was shooting free throws immediately before the slapping.
“I just heard somebody scream my name,” he said. “It was Warren Sapp. He was like like ‘slap the floor on D.”
Warren Sapp, forever talking trash.
Having said all that, I doubt that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga was happy about it. I don’t think he’s going to be happy about the attention that it’s getting today, either. That’s not exactly what one would call ‘sportsmanship’. So while it may have seemed like a great idea last night, I’d be willing to bet that Shane Larkin and company are going to be doing some running to make up for it.
My guess is that it was still worth it.
(h/t Jeff Eisenberg)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)