Jan 24, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
I’m not sure there is anything that is more closely associated with Duke basketball than slapping the floor defensively.
Whether it was Steve Wojciechowski or Greg Paulus or Jay Williams, that’s what Duke guards did on big defensive possessions. We’ve all seen it.
Which is why what Miami did during last night’s curb-stomping of No. 1 Duke is the ultimate troll. If you haven’t seen the video, here it is:
I love it.
But it gets better. From the Orlando Sun-Sentinel:
And that’s were it gets a little crazier.
UM sophomore guard Shane Larkin was shooting free throws immediately before the slapping.
“I just heard somebody scream my name,” he said. “It was Warren Sapp. He was like like ‘slap the floor on D.”
Warren Sapp, forever talking trash.
Having said all that, I doubt that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga was happy about it. I don’t think he’s going to be happy about the attention that it’s getting today, either. That’s not exactly what one would call ‘sportsmanship’. So while it may have seemed like a great idea last night, I’d be willing to bet that Shane Larkin and company are going to be doing some running to make up for it.
My guess is that it was still worth it.
(h/t Jeff Eisenberg)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)