Jan 24, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
I’m not sure there is anything that is more closely associated with Duke basketball than slapping the floor defensively.
Whether it was Steve Wojciechowski or Greg Paulus or Jay Williams, that’s what Duke guards did on big defensive possessions. We’ve all seen it.
Which is why what Miami did during last night’s curb-stomping of No. 1 Duke is the ultimate troll. If you haven’t seen the video, here it is:
I love it.
But it gets better. From the Orlando Sun-Sentinel:
And that’s were it gets a little crazier.
UM sophomore guard Shane Larkin was shooting free throws immediately before the slapping.
“I just heard somebody scream my name,” he said. “It was Warren Sapp. He was like like ‘slap the floor on D.”
Warren Sapp, forever talking trash.
Having said all that, I doubt that Miami head coach Jim Larranaga was happy about it. I don’t think he’s going to be happy about the attention that it’s getting today, either. That’s not exactly what one would call ‘sportsmanship’. So while it may have seemed like a great idea last night, I’d be willing to bet that Shane Larkin and company are going to be doing some running to make up for it.
My guess is that it was still worth it.
(h/t Jeff Eisenberg)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (2)