Jan 25, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Great win for Miami but I’m still chalking it up as an awful night for Duke. Rick Pitino has always said that one or two nights a year nothing goes right — and I agree with that view. Remember last season when Providence beat Louisville by 31 points? Providence finished at the bottom of the Big East and Louisville went to the Final Four. It happens sometimes. How many more nights this year is Duke going to shoot 29% from the field, 4 for 23 from 3 point land and Seth Curry goes 0-10? My guess would be zero.
2. How about the Bryant Bulldogs out of the NEC. They are in 1st place at 6-1 in league and 13-5 overall. They had 9 total victories in the 3 prior seasons to this year. Tim O’Shea’s rebuilding project from D-2 into D-1 is starting to take form.
3. Give credit where credit is due. UCLA is better than we all anticipated. In November the Bruins were overrated and Howland was on the hot seat. A beyond big time win on the road at No. 6 Arizona this week has Bruin fans back. Howland’s team has 16 wins already and let’s take a look at their 4 losses. Of course Cal Poly was a bad one — but the other 3 are Georgetown, San Diego State when they were ranked 23rd and Oregon when they were ranked 21st.
4. Ole Miss is obviously No. 24 in the country but did you know they’ve only played one ranked team? No. 10 Missouri on January 12th. Even more surprising: they’re slated as of right now to only play 2 more ranked opponents — Florida and Missouri again. Should a team be worthy of Top 25 status if they only play two ranked programs in a year?
5. Stephen F. Austin out of the Southland Conference recently received a vote for USA Today Top 25. Resume is impressive. 16-1 overall, 7-0 in league and wins vs Tulsa and Oklahoma.
6. It’s going to be really fun following the America East in mid to late February. Stony Brook, Albany and Vermont are in a 3-way war right now for the top of the league standings.
7. The VCU–Richmond game this week was another example of a fascinating talking subject in the world of hoops. Should you foul at the end of a game when you’re up 3 or play it straight up and take your chances? What’s fascinating is that nearly every coach in the off-season or off the court will tell you that they’d foul. Then the season begins…and so few actually do it.
8. Northeastern was not able to score a big non-conference win early — but what a job they’ve done in conference play this year. The Huskies are in 1st place by 2 games, all by themselves at 7-0 in the CAA. Bill Coen’s team shoots nearly 45% from the floor.
9. I don’t know about you, but I can watch Otto Porter from Georgetown play the game of basketball all day long.
10. Do not miss La Salle at VCU this weekend. That is going to be some basketball game to watch if you like uptempo guard play.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Vin Parise is the College Basketball Insider for NBC Sports. You can catch him on NBC Sports Network’s SportsTalk – Mon-Fri. 6 p.m. ET. Follow Vin on Twitter: @VinParise
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Despite 29 wins (13 in conference play) Louisiana Tech missed out on the NCAA tournament. Michael White looks to change that this season, although, his team will have to go through the likes of UTEP and newcomer Western Kentucky, first.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
With the number of guards in the Kansas program, playing time was likely to be scarce for Conner Frankamp.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Isaac Fotu’s part of the NCAA’s investigation into the program, and other schools have attempted to poach some of Hawaii’s remaining players.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Virginia is coming off of a dual-ACC title and returns the majority of the key players from that team.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
No surprise that Kentucky’s on top. Also of note: No. 3 Wisconsin received more first-place votes than No. 2 Arizona.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
The Cincinnati transfer was expected to factor into a rotation that’s replacing five seniors from last season’s team.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Is this team better than Philly?
Oct 30, 2014, 11:53 PM EDT
Quick action by construction workers ensured that it was declared ready for play two days after being flooded.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Some officials are in hot water after compromising a system used by 20 different Division I conferences.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Saint Louis adds more depth to its front court with this verbal commitment.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
I can do that.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
John Egbunu was an American Athletic Conference All-Freshman Team selection at USF last season.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Preseason Atlantic 10 Player of the Year is looking to lead VCU deep into March.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Chris Clarke is a perfect fit for Donnie Tyndall.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
The Golden Griffins have to account for the loss of four starters from last season’s 21-win team.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Feel free to take this as my challenge to you all.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
North Carolina should be a national title contender, but they do have some question marks.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Dayton head coach Archie Miller spurned high-major programs to remain at Atlantic 10. He’s not the only one in the league happy with where they are.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Pollard is looking to reignite his career at Houston this season.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 is out to gain respect again this season from the rest of the college basketball world, a year after the league saw a record six teams selected for the NCAA tournament with one team reaching the Elite 8.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)