Jan 25, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Great win for Miami but I’m still chalking it up as an awful night for Duke. Rick Pitino has always said that one or two nights a year nothing goes right — and I agree with that view. Remember last season when Providence beat Louisville by 31 points? Providence finished at the bottom of the Big East and Louisville went to the Final Four. It happens sometimes. How many more nights this year is Duke going to shoot 29% from the field, 4 for 23 from 3 point land and Seth Curry goes 0-10? My guess would be zero.
2. How about the Bryant Bulldogs out of the NEC. They are in 1st place at 6-1 in league and 13-5 overall. They had 9 total victories in the 3 prior seasons to this year. Tim O’Shea’s rebuilding project from D-2 into D-1 is starting to take form.
3. Give credit where credit is due. UCLA is better than we all anticipated. In November the Bruins were overrated and Howland was on the hot seat. A beyond big time win on the road at No. 6 Arizona this week has Bruin fans back. Howland’s team has 16 wins already and let’s take a look at their 4 losses. Of course Cal Poly was a bad one — but the other 3 are Georgetown, San Diego State when they were ranked 23rd and Oregon when they were ranked 21st.
4. Ole Miss is obviously No. 24 in the country but did you know they’ve only played one ranked team? No. 10 Missouri on January 12th. Even more surprising: they’re slated as of right now to only play 2 more ranked opponents — Florida and Missouri again. Should a team be worthy of Top 25 status if they only play two ranked programs in a year?
5. Stephen F. Austin out of the Southland Conference recently received a vote for USA Today Top 25. Resume is impressive. 16-1 overall, 7-0 in league and wins vs Tulsa and Oklahoma.
6. It’s going to be really fun following the America East in mid to late February. Stony Brook, Albany and Vermont are in a 3-way war right now for the top of the league standings.
7. The VCU–Richmond game this week was another example of a fascinating talking subject in the world of hoops. Should you foul at the end of a game when you’re up 3 or play it straight up and take your chances? What’s fascinating is that nearly every coach in the off-season or off the court will tell you that they’d foul. Then the season begins…and so few actually do it.
8. Northeastern was not able to score a big non-conference win early — but what a job they’ve done in conference play this year. The Huskies are in 1st place by 2 games, all by themselves at 7-0 in the CAA. Bill Coen’s team shoots nearly 45% from the floor.
9. I don’t know about you, but I can watch Otto Porter from Georgetown play the game of basketball all day long.
10. Do not miss La Salle at VCU this weekend. That is going to be some basketball game to watch if you like uptempo guard play.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Vin Parise is the College Basketball Insider for NBC Sports. You can catch him on NBC Sports Network’s SportsTalk – Mon-Fri. 6 p.m. ET. Follow Vin on Twitter: @VinParise
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
May 24, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The last two decades were a special time for the Donovan family, who thanked the supporters who helped make it all possible.
Minneapolis EYBL Day 1: Harry Giles continues impressive spring, Dennis Smith and De’Aaron Fox battle
May 24, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
The final session of the Nike EYBL tipped in Minneapolis on Saturday.
May 24, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt added a big man who can play right away next season.
May 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Two of the best in the 2016 class battle in the Under Armour Association.
May 24, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Already thin at the point, the situation becomes even tougher for first-year head coach Chris Mullin if this turns out to be the case.
May 23, 2015, 9:51 PM EDT
A Big 12 and a Big Ten program are among those due who have reached out to the 7-foot-2 Fairfield Prep (Connecticut) product.
May 23, 2015, 7:32 PM EDT
Colorado’s Tad Boyle doesn’t like the proposed shot clock change, and he made a good point about the physical nature of college basketball today.
May 23, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Les led the Aggies to a school-record (Division I era) 25 wins and their first Big West regular season title last season.
May 23, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Noah Dickerson had previously committed to Georgetown and Florida.
May 23, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The former Wolverine could remain in the Big Ten.
May 23, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
The Wisconsin big man averaged 16.4 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in his last two seasons.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)