Jan 25, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Great win for Miami but I’m still chalking it up as an awful night for Duke. Rick Pitino has always said that one or two nights a year nothing goes right — and I agree with that view. Remember last season when Providence beat Louisville by 31 points? Providence finished at the bottom of the Big East and Louisville went to the Final Four. It happens sometimes. How many more nights this year is Duke going to shoot 29% from the field, 4 for 23 from 3 point land and Seth Curry goes 0-10? My guess would be zero.
2. How about the Bryant Bulldogs out of the NEC. They are in 1st place at 6-1 in league and 13-5 overall. They had 9 total victories in the 3 prior seasons to this year. Tim O’Shea’s rebuilding project from D-2 into D-1 is starting to take form.
3. Give credit where credit is due. UCLA is better than we all anticipated. In November the Bruins were overrated and Howland was on the hot seat. A beyond big time win on the road at No. 6 Arizona this week has Bruin fans back. Howland’s team has 16 wins already and let’s take a look at their 4 losses. Of course Cal Poly was a bad one — but the other 3 are Georgetown, San Diego State when they were ranked 23rd and Oregon when they were ranked 21st.
4. Ole Miss is obviously No. 24 in the country but did you know they’ve only played one ranked team? No. 10 Missouri on January 12th. Even more surprising: they’re slated as of right now to only play 2 more ranked opponents — Florida and Missouri again. Should a team be worthy of Top 25 status if they only play two ranked programs in a year?
5. Stephen F. Austin out of the Southland Conference recently received a vote for USA Today Top 25. Resume is impressive. 16-1 overall, 7-0 in league and wins vs Tulsa and Oklahoma.
6. It’s going to be really fun following the America East in mid to late February. Stony Brook, Albany and Vermont are in a 3-way war right now for the top of the league standings.
7. The VCU–Richmond game this week was another example of a fascinating talking subject in the world of hoops. Should you foul at the end of a game when you’re up 3 or play it straight up and take your chances? What’s fascinating is that nearly every coach in the off-season or off the court will tell you that they’d foul. Then the season begins…and so few actually do it.
8. Northeastern was not able to score a big non-conference win early — but what a job they’ve done in conference play this year. The Huskies are in 1st place by 2 games, all by themselves at 7-0 in the CAA. Bill Coen’s team shoots nearly 45% from the floor.
9. I don’t know about you, but I can watch Otto Porter from Georgetown play the game of basketball all day long.
10. Do not miss La Salle at VCU this weekend. That is going to be some basketball game to watch if you like uptempo guard play.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Vin Parise is the College Basketball Insider for NBC Sports. You can catch him on NBC Sports Network’s SportsTalk – Mon-Fri. 6 p.m. ET. Follow Vin on Twitter: @VinParise
Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
The team many expect to be a national title contender has a new court to play on this season.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crean addressed the recent off-court issues at a school event in Indianapolis.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
And the toss was a solid one as well.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Herard has scheduled official visits to three of the five remaining schools on his list.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 Canadian averaged 9.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Georgetown, Georgia Tech and Saint Joseph’s failed to make the cut for the New Jersey native.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Early favorite Maryland and reigning champion Wisconsin both open league play at home.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Williams’ arraignment on first degree suspicion of forgery charges was postponed until September 2.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Gabriel is a five-star prospect with offers from Kentucky and Duke.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Dambrot is the head coach at Akron.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Westbrook wasn’t a top 25 prospect in high school. He was a top three player in the NBA last year.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s the first preseason all-american team that we’ve seen this summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
Zeller handed out a warning. Michael McRobbie was a bit more upset.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will take an official visit to one of the four schools this weekend.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes scored 18 points to lead a balanced scoring attack for the Spartans.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Michael McRobbie’s address came two days after Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant were cited for illegal possession of alcohol.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Seton Hall AD said his coaches haven’t had to deal with negative recruiting re: cost of attendance stipends, but he’s ready to act if so.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
Lauren Hill raised more than $1.8 million for pediatric cancer research before she passed away.
Aug 26, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT
Get a look at potential No. 1 pick Ben Simmons.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’s still the second-highest paid Pitino in the coaching world.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)