Jan 25, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Stanley Johnson, one of the top players in the Class of 2014, made some news on Friday by tweeting out a list of the ten schools still in the running for his services.
In no particular order, Johnson is considering UNLV, Oregon, San Diego State, NC State, Kentucky, Arizona, Louisville, USC, Syracuse and UCLA. A 6-6 wing with the ability to score from anywhere on the floor, Johnson saw his stock rise during the spring and summer.
My top are:
Stanley Johnson (@ShowtimeSJ_2014) January 25, 2013
Johnson plays at Mater Dei HS and is a teammate of 2013 guard Elijah Brown, who committed to Butler on Thursday. A member of the United States U-17 national team, Johnson played 18.7 minutes per game and averaged 7.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in the U-17 World Championships.
That team won the gold medal, beating opponents by nearly 40 points per game. Also on the roster were Duke commit Jabari Parker, Kansas commit Conner Frankamp and 2014 center Jahlil Okafor.
Of the ten schools that Johnson tweeted USC may be the most interesting as the program is currently being run by interim head coach Bob Cantu. Cantu replaced Kevin O’Neill, who was fired by the school less than two weeks ago. But with Johnson being a 2014 prospect there’s still time for him to evaluate the program on the floor in addition to seeing who athletic director Pat Haden hires.
Outside of the Trojans many of the programs on the list rank among the traditional powers in college basketball, both on the court and in the recruiting world. Mountain West powers UNLV and San Diego State have both brought in highly touted prospects in recent years and Oregon currently sits atop the Pac-12 standings.
Photo credit: Steven Maikoski/USA Basketball
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)