Jan 25, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Stanley Johnson, one of the top players in the Class of 2014, made some news on Friday by tweeting out a list of the ten schools still in the running for his services.
In no particular order, Johnson is considering UNLV, Oregon, San Diego State, NC State, Kentucky, Arizona, Louisville, USC, Syracuse and UCLA. A 6-6 wing with the ability to score from anywhere on the floor, Johnson saw his stock rise during the spring and summer.
Johnson plays at Mater Dei HS and is a teammate of 2013 guard Elijah Brown, who committed to Butler on Thursday. A member of the United States U-17 national team, Johnson played 18.7 minutes per game and averaged 7.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in the U-17 World Championships.
That team won the gold medal, beating opponents by nearly 40 points per game. Also on the roster were Duke commit Jabari Parker, Kansas commit Conner Frankamp and 2014 center Jahlil Okafor.
Of the ten schools that Johnson tweeted USC may be the most interesting as the program is currently being run by interim head coach Bob Cantu. Cantu replaced Kevin O’Neill, who was fired by the school less than two weeks ago. But with Johnson being a 2014 prospect there’s still time for him to evaluate the program on the floor in addition to seeing who athletic director Pat Haden hires.
Outside of the Trojans many of the programs on the list rank among the traditional powers in college basketball, both on the court and in the recruiting world. Mountain West powers UNLV and San Diego State have both brought in highly touted prospects in recent years and Oregon currently sits atop the Pac-12 standings.
Photo credit: Steven Maikoski/USA Basketball
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)