Jan 25, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Stanley Johnson, one of the top players in the Class of 2014, made some news on Friday by tweeting out a list of the ten schools still in the running for his services.
In no particular order, Johnson is considering UNLV, Oregon, San Diego State, NC State, Kentucky, Arizona, Louisville, USC, Syracuse and UCLA. A 6-6 wing with the ability to score from anywhere on the floor, Johnson saw his stock rise during the spring and summer.
Johnson plays at Mater Dei HS and is a teammate of 2013 guard Elijah Brown, who committed to Butler on Thursday. A member of the United States U-17 national team, Johnson played 18.7 minutes per game and averaged 7.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in the U-17 World Championships.
That team won the gold medal, beating opponents by nearly 40 points per game. Also on the roster were Duke commit Jabari Parker, Kansas commit Conner Frankamp and 2014 center Jahlil Okafor.
Of the ten schools that Johnson tweeted USC may be the most interesting as the program is currently being run by interim head coach Bob Cantu. Cantu replaced Kevin O’Neill, who was fired by the school less than two weeks ago. But with Johnson being a 2014 prospect there’s still time for him to evaluate the program on the floor in addition to seeing who athletic director Pat Haden hires.
Outside of the Trojans many of the programs on the list rank among the traditional powers in college basketball, both on the court and in the recruiting world. Mountain West powers UNLV and San Diego State have both brought in highly touted prospects in recent years and Oregon currently sits atop the Pac-12 standings.
Photo credit: Steven Maikoski/USA Basketball
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)