Jan 25, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
The 2013 Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden in New York City is sold out, the conference announced Friday.
The annual tournament has now sold out in presale for the eighth consecutive season, according to a press release, and tickets are now only available for purchase from other fans through direct sale or ticket exchanges.
News of the sell out comes as little surprise, not only because of sales numbers in previous years, but because this year’s Big East Tournament is likely to be the last for the conference as we know it. After this season, Pittsburgh and Syracuse will depart for the ACC and a host of Conference USA schools will join the Big East, including Houston, SMU, Memphis, and UCF.
That still fails to mention the status of Notre Dame and the Catholic 7, the former having announced it would also be headed to the ACC, and the latter announcing its desire to split from the conference. The departure of the Catholic 7 effectively removes the core of teams that originally formed the conference.
Louisville defeated Cincinnati in last year’s Big East Tournament title game. The 2012 title game marked the first time that neither participant was a not member of the original Big East. Louisville went on to make a run to the Final Four in New Orleans.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)