Jan 25, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
The 2013 Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden in New York City is sold out, the conference announced Friday.
The annual tournament has now sold out in presale for the eighth consecutive season, according to a press release, and tickets are now only available for purchase from other fans through direct sale or ticket exchanges.
News of the sell out comes as little surprise, not only because of sales numbers in previous years, but because this year’s Big East Tournament is likely to be the last for the conference as we know it. After this season, Pittsburgh and Syracuse will depart for the ACC and a host of Conference USA schools will join the Big East, including Houston, SMU, Memphis, and UCF.
That still fails to mention the status of Notre Dame and the Catholic 7, the former having announced it would also be headed to the ACC, and the latter announcing its desire to split from the conference. The departure of the Catholic 7 effectively removes the core of teams that originally formed the conference.
Louisville defeated Cincinnati in last year’s Big East Tournament title game. The 2012 title game marked the first time that neither participant was a not member of the original Big East. Louisville went on to make a run to the Final Four in New Orleans.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)