Jan 25, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
The UCLA compliance department is taking a look at the Gucci-brand backpack that freshman Shabazz Muhammad wore during postgame interviews, following the Bruins’ win over No. 6 Arizona on Thursday.
ESPNLosAngeles.com was the first to report about the inquiry, stemming from a column written by Yahoo!’s Pat Forde that highlighted the fact that Muhammad was wearing the bag. Muhammad opted to wear the bag instead of the standard UCLA backpack issued by the team.
“Our compliance is handling it,” coach Ben Howland told ESPN. “They’re very professional and we’re aware of the situation.”
Muhammad’s sister, Asia, attempted to clear up the situation via Twitter, saying the backpack was a gift from her and Muhammad’s mother, even offering to present a receipt as proof.
Muhammad was in the news earlier this season as the NCAA held him out of UCLA’s first three games as it investigated allegations that he took impermissible benefits during his recruitment. He was ordered to repay $1,600 at the conclusion of the investigation.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 3
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)