Jan 25, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
The UCLA compliance department is taking a look at the Gucci-brand backpack that freshman Shabazz Muhammad wore during postgame interviews, following the Bruins’ win over No. 6 Arizona on Thursday.
ESPNLosAngeles.com was the first to report about the inquiry, stemming from a column written by Yahoo!’s Pat Forde that highlighted the fact that Muhammad was wearing the bag. Muhammad opted to wear the bag instead of the standard UCLA backpack issued by the team.
“Our compliance is handling it,” coach Ben Howland told ESPN. “They’re very professional and we’re aware of the situation.”
Muhammad’s sister, Asia, attempted to clear up the situation via Twitter, saying the backpack was a gift from her and Muhammad’s mother, even offering to present a receipt as proof.
Muhammad was in the news earlier this season as the NCAA held him out of UCLA’s first three games as it investigated allegations that he took impermissible benefits during his recruitment. He was ordered to repay $1,600 at the conclusion of the investigation.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 2
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)