Jan 25, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
The UCLA compliance department is taking a look at the Gucci-brand backpack that freshman Shabazz Muhammad wore during postgame interviews, following the Bruins’ win over No. 6 Arizona on Thursday.
ESPNLosAngeles.com was the first to report about the inquiry, stemming from a column written by Yahoo!’s Pat Forde that highlighted the fact that Muhammad was wearing the bag. Muhammad opted to wear the bag instead of the standard UCLA backpack issued by the team.
“Our compliance is handling it,” coach Ben Howland told ESPN. “They’re very professional and we’re aware of the situation.”
Muhammad’s sister, Asia, attempted to clear up the situation via Twitter, saying the backpack was a gift from her and Muhammad’s mother, even offering to present a receipt as proof.
Muhammad was in the news earlier this season as the NCAA held him out of UCLA’s first three games as it investigated allegations that he took impermissible benefits during his recruitment. He was ordered to repay $1,600 at the conclusion of the investigation.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (8)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (6)