Jan 25, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
The UCLA compliance department is taking a look at the Gucci-brand backpack that freshman Shabazz Muhammad wore during postgame interviews, following the Bruins’ win over No. 6 Arizona on Thursday.
ESPNLosAngeles.com was the first to report about the inquiry, stemming from a column written by Yahoo!’s Pat Forde that highlighted the fact that Muhammad was wearing the bag. Muhammad opted to wear the bag instead of the standard UCLA backpack issued by the team.
“Our compliance is handling it,” coach Ben Howland told ESPN. “They’re very professional and we’re aware of the situation.”
Muhammad’s sister, Asia, attempted to clear up the situation via Twitter, saying the backpack was a gift from her and Muhammad’s mother, even offering to present a receipt as proof.
Muhammad was in the news earlier this season as the NCAA held him out of UCLA’s first three games as it investigated allegations that he took impermissible benefits during his recruitment. He was ordered to repay $1,600 at the conclusion of the investigation.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 1
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)