Jan 25, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
The UCLA compliance department is taking a look at the Gucci-brand backpack that freshman Shabazz Muhammad wore during postgame interviews, following the Bruins’ win over No. 6 Arizona on Thursday.
ESPNLosAngeles.com was the first to report about the inquiry, stemming from a column written by Yahoo!’s Pat Forde that highlighted the fact that Muhammad was wearing the bag. Muhammad opted to wear the bag instead of the standard UCLA backpack issued by the team.
“Our compliance is handling it,” coach Ben Howland told ESPN. “They’re very professional and we’re aware of the situation.”
Muhammad’s sister, Asia, attempted to clear up the situation via Twitter, saying the backpack was a gift from her and Muhammad’s mother, even offering to present a receipt as proof.
Muhammad was in the news earlier this season as the NCAA held him out of UCLA’s first three games as it investigated allegations that he took impermissible benefits during his recruitment. He was ordered to repay $1,600 at the conclusion of the investigation.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)