Jan 25, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
UCLA junior Travis Wear will not suit up for the Bruins Saturday when they take on Arizona State as he overcomes symptoms from a concussion he suffered Thursday in a win over Arizona.
Wear had six points in 11 minutes against Arizona, but did not play in the second half.
His absence could certainly hurt UCLA when it takes the floor against the upstart Sun Devils Saturday, as Wear had been averaging 16.7 points per game since the Bruins’ big win over Missouri on Dec. 28. That win over the Tigers seemed to jumpstart his season, when he went for 22 points on 11-of-20 shooting from the floor and grabbed nine rebounds.
Since center Josh Smith transferred mid-way through the season, the Bruins have had to compensate for a depleted frontcourt. Without Wear, freshman Tony Parker will likely see an increase in minutes, as will David Wear, Travis’ brother.
UCLA has rebounded from a slow 5-3 start to the season and has won 11 of its last 12 games. Much of that success has been due to the emergence of star freshman Shabazz Muhammad, as well an increase in the team’s offensive tempo.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)