Jan 25, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
UCLA junior Travis Wear will not suit up for the Bruins Saturday when they take on Arizona State as he overcomes symptoms from a concussion he suffered Thursday in a win over Arizona.
Wear had six points in 11 minutes against Arizona, but did not play in the second half.
His absence could certainly hurt UCLA when it takes the floor against the upstart Sun Devils Saturday, as Wear had been averaging 16.7 points per game since the Bruins’ big win over Missouri on Dec. 28. That win over the Tigers seemed to jumpstart his season, when he went for 22 points on 11-of-20 shooting from the floor and grabbed nine rebounds.
Since center Josh Smith transferred mid-way through the season, the Bruins have had to compensate for a depleted frontcourt. Without Wear, freshman Tony Parker will likely see an increase in minutes, as will David Wear, Travis’ brother.
UCLA has rebounded from a slow 5-3 start to the season and has won 11 of its last 12 games. Much of that success has been due to the emergence of star freshman Shabazz Muhammad, as well an increase in the team’s offensive tempo.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)