Jan 25, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
UCLA junior Travis Wear will not suit up for the Bruins Saturday when they take on Arizona State as he overcomes symptoms from a concussion he suffered Thursday in a win over Arizona.
Wear had six points in 11 minutes against Arizona, but did not play in the second half.
His absence could certainly hurt UCLA when it takes the floor against the upstart Sun Devils Saturday, as Wear had been averaging 16.7 points per game since the Bruins’ big win over Missouri on Dec. 28. That win over the Tigers seemed to jumpstart his season, when he went for 22 points on 11-of-20 shooting from the floor and grabbed nine rebounds.
Since center Josh Smith transferred mid-way through the season, the Bruins have had to compensate for a depleted frontcourt. Without Wear, freshman Tony Parker will likely see an increase in minutes, as will David Wear, Travis’ brother.
UCLA has rebounded from a slow 5-3 start to the season and has won 11 of its last 12 games. Much of that success has been due to the emergence of star freshman Shabazz Muhammad, as well an increase in the team’s offensive tempo.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)