Jan 26, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
I don’t know if Bruce Weber has any ruby slippers (and if so, I’m not judging) but if he does, it’s time to click them together and chant “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.”
That’s how Dorothy got back to Kansas, and that’s where Weber would no doubt like to be after his Wildcats suffered a 73-67 road loss at Iowa State today. Kansas State shot 64 percent in the second half in Ames, and over 50 percent for the game, but that simply wasn’t enough against the famed Hilton Magic, which is in full force again now that Fred “The Mayor” Hoiberg is in his third season at the helm of his alma mater.
Iowa State was blazing from deep, shooting 50 percent from behind the three-point line. That perimeter sharpshooting was almost good enough to upset Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse earlier this season, and it will no doubt continue to characterize the Cyclone attack. But the team concept, when it fires on all cylinders, is something to behold. Korie Lucious dished out eight assists, freshman stud Georges Niang made crucial baskets, and Melvin Ejim had 10 boards to go with a couple of highlight-reel slams that kept his team in the lead despite the furious K-State comeback attempt.
Will Clyburn was the hero of the day for Iowa State, however, pouring in 24 points and snagging ten boards of his own to help out Ejim on the glass.
Kansas State fans should not be panicking, by any means. This week’s two losses were the first losing streak the Wildcats have experienced so far this season, and they’re bound to get well in a hurry facing Texas in the Octagon of Doom on Wednesday. Where the concern lies after this rough week is along the frontline, where the Wildcats had just five offensive boards against the Cyclones. Not such a horrible number when you’re shooting so well, but on nights when the ball can’t find the basket, those second chances are going to loom large.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)