Jan 26, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
I don’t know if Bruce Weber has any ruby slippers (and if so, I’m not judging) but if he does, it’s time to click them together and chant “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.”
That’s how Dorothy got back to Kansas, and that’s where Weber would no doubt like to be after his Wildcats suffered a 73-67 road loss at Iowa State today. Kansas State shot 64 percent in the second half in Ames, and over 50 percent for the game, but that simply wasn’t enough against the famed Hilton Magic, which is in full force again now that Fred “The Mayor” Hoiberg is in his third season at the helm of his alma mater.
Iowa State was blazing from deep, shooting 50 percent from behind the three-point line. That perimeter sharpshooting was almost good enough to upset Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse earlier this season, and it will no doubt continue to characterize the Cyclone attack. But the team concept, when it fires on all cylinders, is something to behold. Korie Lucious dished out eight assists, freshman stud Georges Niang made crucial baskets, and Melvin Ejim had 10 boards to go with a couple of highlight-reel slams that kept his team in the lead despite the furious K-State comeback attempt.
Will Clyburn was the hero of the day for Iowa State, however, pouring in 24 points and snagging ten boards of his own to help out Ejim on the glass.
Kansas State fans should not be panicking, by any means. This week’s two losses were the first losing streak the Wildcats have experienced so far this season, and they’re bound to get well in a hurry facing Texas in the Octagon of Doom on Wednesday. Where the concern lies after this rough week is along the frontline, where the Wildcats had just five offensive boards against the Cyclones. Not such a horrible number when you’re shooting so well, but on nights when the ball can’t find the basket, those second chances are going to loom large.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)