Jan 26, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
This is one of those special days in college basketball. What we might have missed out on with marquee Top 25 matchups, we can make up for with bizarre on-court events.
Take, for example, this scene at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, where a loose bat delayed play because it caused panic every time it flew across the court. The GIF below shows Sidiki Johnson doing a nice Matrix-like move to avoid the oncoming bat. It’s so chuckle-worthy that it’s worth watching a few times.
Facility managers at Bradley Center even turned the lights out to try to catch the bat with 7:36 left in the game, creating this eerily gorgeous scene:
The goal was to try and get the bat to settle in the rafters. The theory was that it was attracted to the brightness of the court.
“It was funny to begin with,” Marquette coach Buzz Williams told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. “But after awhile, it was, ‘Damn the bat. We have to win.’ There is going to be a winner and a loser. There’s not going to be an asterisk that said a bat was in the building.”
But there will be this blog post.
And if you’ll notice, I didn’t once mention who won the game. (Until now, Marquette did. “”There were no bright spots in the game except for Batman and Robin in the damn building,” Providence coach Ed Cooley said. “Actually, it was pretty funny. I thought the officials were more afraid than anybody.”)
(Image via screengrab of the broadcast)
May 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Duquesne picked up an impact guard for three more seasons.
May 5, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Nevada landed a Southern Illinois transfer at forward.
May 5, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Oklahoma State has added a big man who could help in the rotation if he’s eligible.
May 5, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Old Dominion is gaining a transfer from Illinois
May 5, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Florida looks like they’ll be losing a key member of their 2015 recruiting haul.
May 5, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Nebraska picked up a guard who should help after one season.
May 5, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Tennessee is losing its second front court player of the off season to transfer.
May 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Florida State grabbed an impact shooting guard in 2016.
May 5, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
This isn’t a decision that is going to get made quickly.
May 5, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Of all the changes on the coaching carousel, what are we most interested in seeing?
May 5, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
As it stands, it appears that Texas will not be bringing ‘HAVOC’ to Austin.
May 5, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
Did he really need to say it though?
May 5, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Demetrius Henry is the only player of note leaving the program.
May 5, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
J.D. Collins will be the one to replace John Adams.
May 5, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
This should end up being a solid early season tournament.
May 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Theo Pinson should be ready to play by next season.
May 4, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Boise State might have found some production in its backcourt to help replace Derrick Marks.
May 4, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Quinn Cook had plenty of ups and downs at Duke and this senior speech caps it all off.
May 4, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
San Diego State landed a top-100 player in the 2016 class on Monday night.
Report: Former Clemson guard Rod Hall has interest from multiple NFL teams; college football also an option
May 4, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Former Clemson point guard Rod Hall has some decisions to make regarding his future in football.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 1
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)