Jan 26, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
We all cringed when Rotnei Clarke went down against Dayton in just his second A-10 game since transferring to Butler from Arkansas. The electrifying shooter essentially speared the basket support and was lucky to come away with a minor neck injury.
Butler did pretty well while Clarke rested his vertebrae, beating Richmond and then edging visiting Gonzaga in one of the season’s most exciting games to date. A one point loss at La Salle was the one down note marring his absence. Win or lose, the Bulldogs were bound to be glad to have Clarke back as they prepared to face Khalif Wyatt and the Temple Owls at Hinkle Fieldhouse today.
Clarke came back in a big way, helping his No. 9 Butler Bulldogs to an 83-71 win.
Clarke was a bit rusty, not that you’d notice from his point total. He scored 24 huge points in spite of a very un-Rotnei 4 of 14 from the floor. How did he get there with such a rough shooting night? He made it up at the line, driving to the hoop again and again until he had toed the line 14 times and made 13 of the shots go down. Drawing help defense, Clarke was also able to dish out nine assists to his teammates.
Temple’s own shooting star, Khalif Wyatt, had the type of game he always has against a ranked opponent, scoring 22 points to go with six assists and four steals.
Butler proved to be a complete team while Clarke was on the bench in a snazzy sweater, as long-time assets like Roosevelt Brown, Kyle Marshall and Kellen Dunham proved that the Bulldogs are a cohesive unit rather than Rotnei Clarke and the Pips. A trip to St. Louis – another in a long line of difficult A-10 tests – looms on the horizon as Butler attempts to close the month out with a 5-1 league record.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine and Taurean Waller-Prince also played well in stretches.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)