Jan 26, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
UCLA has been on one heck of a roller-coaster ride this season. Fans were preparing to run Ben Howland out of town on a rail after a November home loss to Cal Poly, and another round of midseason player defections. Then came a ten-game win streak and solid play from freshmen Kyle Anderson and Shabazz Muhammad that put the Bruins right back in the heat of the Pac 12 race. Now inconsistency has crept into the mix again.
There was a time when a trip to Tempe was a rather easy win for the Bruins, but it was not this day. The Sun Devils made an emphatic statement today, beating visiting UCLA by 18 points, and staking a legit contender’s claim. Herb Sendek did it with Iron Man minutes from his starting five, including a full 40 minutes played by freshman point guard Jahii Carson. Ruslan Pateev scored two points in ten minutes off of the bench; the rest came from the starting lineup.
Center Jordan Bachynski – he of the triple-double against Northridge – played the fewest minutes of any starter, logging just 30, but he was the most effective part of a sterling group effort. The big man scored 22 points to go with 15 boards and six blocked shots, which is very much the kind of performance basketball fans have come to expect. Carrick Felix was actually the leading scorer for the Sun Devils, however, notching 23 to complement eleven boards, three steals and two blocks.
UCLA struggled to score, shooting just 34.7 percent from the floor against the stolid interior play of Bachynski and Felix. The dysfunction that characterized UCLA’s early season returned to some degree, with David Wear putting in a mediocre effort while his brother Travis sat due to injury, and Anderson fouling out with just six points to his credit.
The Sun Devils are in good shape for a tourney bid right now, with the toughest part of their schedule already behind them. They won’t face a currently ranked team until they close the season against arch-rival and current No. 6 Arizona.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)