Jan 27, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Coaches tell their players to play through the final buzzer, fair enough. But UCLA freshman Jordan Adams learned on Sunday that the concept of “playing through the buzzer” is a two-way street.
The Bruins trailed Arizona State by 18 in the final moments and, as the Sun Devils tried to dribble out what remained of the clock, Adams stole the ball and looked to score. That’s before he knew ASU senior Carrick Felix was trailing him from behind, ultimately blocking his shot as time expired.
This doesn’t now label Jordan Adams a “bad kid” or anything else that would evoke such hyperbole. It really has no other lasting implications for his team past this game. If anything, as Doug Haller writes in today’s Arizona Republic, it shows that Herb Sendek’s Arizona State team has a fight in them that we didn’t see last season.
“Even though we were up, I’ve always been taught to never stop playing, just wait to the buzzer goes off,” Felix said after the game, as reported by the Republic. ”I saw him going down there, trying to get a dunk, so I just hustled. Just like I always do. That’s it.”
Check out the video below:
(h/t @DougHaller for video)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)