Jan 27, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
Coaches tell their players to play through the final buzzer, fair enough. But UCLA freshman Jordan Adams learned on Sunday that the concept of “playing through the buzzer” is a two-way street.
The Bruins trailed Arizona State by 18 in the final moments and, as the Sun Devils tried to dribble out what remained of the clock, Adams stole the ball and looked to score. That’s before he knew ASU senior Carrick Felix was trailing him from behind, ultimately blocking his shot as time expired.
This doesn’t now label Jordan Adams a “bad kid” or anything else that would evoke such hyperbole. It really has no other lasting implications for his team past this game. If anything, as Doug Haller writes in today’s Arizona Republic, it shows that Herb Sendek’s Arizona State team has a fight in them that we didn’t see last season.
“Even though we were up, I’ve always been taught to never stop playing, just wait to the buzzer goes off,” Felix said after the game, as reported by the Republic. ”I saw him going down there, trying to get a dunk, so I just hustled. Just like I always do. That’s it.”
Check out the video below:
(h/t @DougHaller for video)
Jan 30, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
With Shannon Scott being a senior and D’Angelo Russell considered to be a possible lottery pick if he goes pro, JaQuan Lyle’s commitment is a nice insurance policy moving forward.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:57 PM EST
Ike Nwamu scored 20 points in the Bears’ 75-72 overtime win over Chattanooga, but should he have two (or three) more points to his credit?
Jan 29, 2015, 9:38 PM EST
Providence’s Kris Dunn posted the program’s first triple-double since 2006, and UMass held off Dayton in Amherst.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:44 PM EST
The third year of the event means an improved schedule, with all ten games being played on one day.
Bradley’s leading scorer one of three players facing disciplinary action following incident Thursday morning
Jan 29, 2015, 6:57 PM EST
Warren Jones is averaging a team-best 13.8 points per game for Bradley, which has lost six of its last seven games.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:46 PM EST
Leland King led Brown in scoring and was also tied for the team lead in rebounds per game.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:42 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon played 12 minutes in the Blue Devils’ loss at No. 8 Notre Dame Wednesday night.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
The Eastern Washington guard has received more attention nationally in recent weeks, and it’s well-deserved.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:28 PM EST
At the very least, he’s the most valuable player in the country.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Donnie Tyndall’s trail of destruction in Hattiesburg continues to grow.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Melo Trimble vs. D’Angelo Russell will be worth the two hours.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:49 AM EST
That hashtag, though.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:14 AM EST
It looks like T.J.’s got jokes.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
Cottrill was once ranked above Shabazz Napier and Aaron Craft, among many others.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:08 AM EST
Rysheed Jordan averages 13.4 points.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:14 AM EST
I love this move.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:24 PM EST
Rhode Island moved to 14-5 overall and 6-2 in Atlantic 10 play with the win over Fordham.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:52 PM EST
The Huskies will be short one perimeter option when they take on Cincinnati Thursday night.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Jerian Grant was the headliner for the Fighting Irish, but he had plenty of help as they erased a ten-point second half deficit.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
The night is only getting started.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)