Jan 28, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Looks like one team is really embracing the cult love of #MACtion. At least to an extent.
Akron is planning it’s own Social Media Night along with unveiling the programs’ new uniforms for the team’s game against Ohio on Saturday. The uniforms will be Nike’s newest addition to college basketball and will “feature the Akron Z in black and white on the jersey, blue and white-accented side panels, as well as the word “Akron” outlined in white on the shorts.“
As far as the social media aspect, the Zips have adorned their court with Twitter hashtags #ZipsGameday and #ThinkBigger along the sideline and near the basket supports. According to the release, the #ThinkBigger tag is an adage to coach Keith Dambrot’s motto for the 2012-13 season for Akron.
Fans will also be able to enter for a chance to be a “social media correspondent” for the team by tweeting @ZipsMBB, using the hashtag #ZipsSocialMedia or posting a message to the ZipsMBB Facebook page. The deadline for that is 5 p.m. tomorrow.
There are other ways fans can get involved and win prizes, such as winning an autographed basketball by tweeting photos of their gameday experience to the Zips official Twitter account.
Got to hand it to Akron. Embracing social media is very important to a lot of low and mid-major schools in college athletics, especially for fan engagement and growing a programs’ fan base. In a conference that has one of the greatest hashtag phenomenons in recent memory — despite that it’s primarily intended for football — it’s good to see the basketball side catching up.
#MACtion, baby. Catch the fever.
Photo courtesy of the University of Akron Athletics Department
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)