Jan 28, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
Game of the Day: No. 7 Indiana 75, No. 13 Michigan State 70
The showdown in Bloomington did not disappoint, with the Hoosiers holding Michigan State scoreless over the final 3:33. Victor Oladipo led the way with 21 points, seven rebounds, six steals and three blocked shots in a performance that should open more eyes when it comes to the Big Ten Player of the Year award. Freshman Gary Harris led Michigan State with 21 points, but with fellow guards Keith Appling and Travis Trice struggling the Spartans fell five points short.
With the victory the Wolverines could ascend to the top of the national polls for the first time since the 1992-93 season. Trey Burke scored 19 points and as a team Michigan shot 52.5% from the field. The bad news for John Beilein’s team? Jordan Morgan played just two minutes due to a sprained ankle suffered in the first half, but the contributions of Jon Horford, Mitch McGary and Max Bielfeldt (combined for 17 points and 15 rebounds) more than made up for Morgan’s absence.
The “Battle of the Bridge” provided the finish of the day, as Billy Baron’s jumper was ruled to have been released after time expired. A Marvin Jordan three-pointer with 2.9 seconds remaining proved to be the difference, keeping Niagara alone atop the MAAC standings with a 9-1 conference record. Jordan scored a game-high 23 points off the bench for the Purple Eagles, who will look to avenge their lone MAAC defeat on Thursday night when they host 8-2 Iona.
Video from maacsports.com
3. Purdue 65, Iowa 62 (OT)
If the Hawkeyes are to have any chance of working their way into the NCAA tournament conversation they can ill afford to lose games like this one. Freshman Mike Gesell scored 15 of his 18 points in the second half but ultimately Iowa’s 31.1% shooting from the field was too much to overcome. Terone Johnson led four Boilermakers in double figures with 17 points, and the win moves Purdue to 4-3 in the Big Ten ahead of Wednesday’s game against rival Indiana.
1. F O.D. Anosike (Siena)
Anosike was outstanding in the Saints’ 79-75 win at Marist, accounting for 20 points, 21 rebounds, five assists, two steals and two blocked shots. Anosike is the fourth player this season to put up at least 20 points and 20 rebounds in the same game. Oral Roberts’ Damen Bell-Holter, Towson’s Jerrell Benimon and FIU’s Tymell Murphy are the others.
2. G/F Trevis Simpson (UNC Greensboro)
Simpson tied a school record for points in a game in the Spartans’ 77-69 win over Chattanooga, scoring 41 points (14-of-25 FG) while also grabbing seven rebounds. This comes on the heels of his scoring 30 on Thursday night to lead UNCG past Samford.
3. F Milton Jennings (Clemson)
Jennings may have played the best game of his career in the Tigers’ 77-70 win over Virginia Tech. The senior finished with 28 points (6-of-12 FG, 16-of-18 FT) and 14 rebounds, establishing a new career high in points (the rebounds tied a career high).
1. Florida State
The Seminoles continue to struggle offensively, as evidenced by their 71-47 loss at No. 25 Miami. Florida State shot 30.8% from the field with 11 players managing to score (Ian Miller was the lone player in double figures with 12 points).
2. G Keith Appling and G Travis Trice (Michigan State)
Struggling to score as Appling and Trice did is one thing, as they combined to shoot 4-of-16 from the field and score 11 points. But nine combined turnovers? Can’t win a road game against a team like Indiana doing that.
3. G/F Dane Miller and F Wally Judge (Rutgers)
Given Connecticut’s struggles in the paint Sunday’s matchup in Hartford seemed to set up as one in which these two could be productive. Miller and Judge (both starters) would combine to play just 30 minutes, finishing with two points and six rebounds on 1-of-5 shooting (all five shots taken by Judge) in the 66-54 loss.
1. Northeastern expanded their lead in the CAA to three games with a 71-51 win over George Mason in Boston. Quincy Ford and Joel Smith scored 15 points apiece for the Huskies, who haven’t lost since December 29.
2. Lafayette handed Lehigh its first Patriot League loss on Sunday, shooting 70% from the field in the second half of their 78-57 victory at Lehigh. The win moves Fran O’Hanlon’s Leopards to within a game of Lehigh and Bucknell, who are now tied atop the Patriot League standings.
3. St. John’s is now 5-3 in Big East play, a record that has Steve Lavin’s team sitting in a tie for third place with Pittsburgh. D’Angelo Harrison scored 24 points and grabbed seven rebounds in the Red Storm’s 71-67 win over Seton Hall, and they also have the odds-on favorite for Big East Rookie of the Year in forward JaKarr Sampson.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
It may not be who you think it is.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:09 AM EDT
In need of some bodies in the front court, Eastern Michigan has reportedly added one in the form of George Mason transfer Anali Okoloji.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
Late Sunday Vanderbilt landed its first commitment in the 2015 class, with shooting guard Camron Justice announcing his pledge via Twitter.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
USF lost two more players Saturday as guards Javontae Hawkins and Musa Abdul-Aleem decided to transfer.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
UConn guard Ryan Boatright is still weighing whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The 62nd annual Portsmouth Invitational Tournament wrapped up Saturday night, with former Marquette big man Davante Gardner winning MVP honors.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Houston landed a second junior college transfer Sunday, with Howard College product Eric Weary announcing his decision to commit to the program.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
More than three years later, Nick Resavy is still making ridiculous shots.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)