Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
A bit of news out of the postgame press conference after the Louisville/Pittsburgh game.
It was announced before the game that, along with swingman Wayne Blackshear who was out with a shoulder injury, sophomore guard Kevin Ware would not play in Monday night’s game.
Well, there’s not much clarification to the situation, at least not yet. But we did hear it was a suspension prior to the game.
Now I guess we can label that suspension “indefinite”.
Coach Rick Pitino told reporters after the game that Ware won’t be on the court anytime in the near future.
Ware, who missed the first semester of his freshman year due to academic issues, is averaging 3.8 points, 1.5 rebounds and hitting 43.1 percent of his shots this season.
The 6-2 Ware has mainly been a defensive presence this season, with his long frame and ability to step into either guard spot, defensively, and not allow any slippage in the press. Prior to the season, Pitino told reporters he was focusing Ware more at the two-guard spot than at point guard, where he got a limited amount of burn at the end of last season.
No one knows at the moment what he did, but it was enough to get nailed to the bench for the time being. He wasn’t even on the bench at Monday’s game and wasn’t seen postgame, according to reports.
It’s a hit to the guard depth for a team that prides itself on being at least two deep at every position.
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0