Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
A bit of news out of the postgame press conference after the Louisville/Pittsburgh game.
It was announced before the game that, along with swingman Wayne Blackshear who was out with a shoulder injury, sophomore guard Kevin Ware would not play in Monday night’s game.
Well, there’s not much clarification to the situation, at least not yet. But we did hear it was a suspension prior to the game.
Now I guess we can label that suspension “indefinite”.
Coach Rick Pitino told reporters after the game that Ware won’t be on the court anytime in the near future.
Pitino says Kevin Ware "isn't coming back anytime soon."—
Mike Rutherford (@CardChronicle) January 29, 2013
Ware, who missed the first semester of his freshman year due to academic issues, is averaging 3.8 points, 1.5 rebounds and hitting 43.1 percent of his shots this season.
The 6-2 Ware has mainly been a defensive presence this season, with his long frame and ability to step into either guard spot, defensively, and not allow any slippage in the press. Prior to the season, Pitino told reporters he was focusing Ware more at the two-guard spot than at point guard, where he got a limited amount of burn at the end of last season.
No one knows at the moment what he did, but it was enough to get nailed to the bench for the time being. He wasn’t even on the bench at Monday’s game and wasn’t seen postgame, according to reports.
It’s a hit to the guard depth for a team that prides itself on being at least two deep at every position.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)