Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
A bit of news out of the postgame press conference after the Louisville/Pittsburgh game.
It was announced before the game that, along with swingman Wayne Blackshear who was out with a shoulder injury, sophomore guard Kevin Ware would not play in Monday night’s game.
Well, there’s not much clarification to the situation, at least not yet. But we did hear it was a suspension prior to the game.
Now I guess we can label that suspension “indefinite”.
Coach Rick Pitino told reporters after the game that Ware won’t be on the court anytime in the near future.
Ware, who missed the first semester of his freshman year due to academic issues, is averaging 3.8 points, 1.5 rebounds and hitting 43.1 percent of his shots this season.
The 6-2 Ware has mainly been a defensive presence this season, with his long frame and ability to step into either guard spot, defensively, and not allow any slippage in the press. Prior to the season, Pitino told reporters he was focusing Ware more at the two-guard spot than at point guard, where he got a limited amount of burn at the end of last season.
No one knows at the moment what he did, but it was enough to get nailed to the bench for the time being. He wasn’t even on the bench at Monday’s game and wasn’t seen postgame, according to reports.
It’s a hit to the guard depth for a team that prides itself on being at least two deep at every position.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)