Jan 28, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Game of the Day: Pittsburgh at No. 12 Louisville (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Louisville is looking to snap a three-game losing skid that has dropped them from No. 1 in the country to behind St. John’s in the Big East standings. That’s quite a tumble for the Cardinals to make, and turning it around isn’t going to be the easiest thing in the world, either. For starters, Louisville will be playing without two members of their rotation on Monday night as Wayne Blackshear is dealing with a shoulder injury and Kevin Ware has been suspended indefinitely.
But there’s more to it than that. Pittsburgh is actually one of the more underrated teams in the country. They’re sitting at 17-4 on the season and No. 7 in the current Kenpom rankings. They have a big front line that pounds the offensive glass and a pair of quality point guards that can control tempo and that don’t turn the ball over. Keeping Louisville from scoring points in transition is the best way to beat this team, especially with their most dynamic scorer (Russ Smith) being muzzled by Rick Pitino.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Jackson State (8:30 p.m. ET)
Jackson State has a kid on their team named Dundrecous Nelson. Nelson, who was forced out of Ole Miss for some issues with marijuana, was a double-digit scorer as a sophomore in the SEC. He’s averaging nearly 16 points for JSU, and he’s not even the team’s leading scorer. UAPB is currently a half-game off the pace set by Southern in the SWAC, while Jackson State needed to sweep Mississippi Valley State and Grambling last week to avoid the cellar.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Delaware at Drexel (7:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Net)
These were supposed to be the two best teams in the CAA this season, but after Northeastern knocked off George Mason on Sunday evening, they are both sitting tied for second place in the league a full three games behind the Huskies. Drexel has won three straight games since Damion Lee returned from injury, but the Blue Hens have as much talent on their roster as anyone in the country.
Five Things to Watch For
1) On Saturday, a bat spent the entire afternoon attacking No. 25 Marquette and Providence players. The Golden Eagles host South Florida tonight. Will he make another appearance?
2) No. 2 Kansas will make their first trip up to Morgantown to play a Big 12 game in the Big Monday nightcap. the intrigue in this one is almost nonexistent, as Bob Huggins’ club has not done much in the way of impress this year.
3) There is a terrific back court matchup in that game on NBCSports Network tonight. Drexel’s Damion Lee and Frantz Massenat taking on Devon Saddler and Jarvis Threatt.
4) SWACtion on ESPNU: Alabama State takes on Texas Southern.
5) Someone needs to get Rick Pitino to take the shackles off Russ Smith. He only got nine shots after coming off the bench in the loss at Georgetown. #shootmore
The Top 25
- Pitt at No. 12 Louisville (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 2 Kansas at West Virginia (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- South Florida at No. 25 Marquette (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
With their leading rebounder off to the NBA, UCLA is hoping that this 6-foot-11 center can be of service in that area.
Apr 19, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
With Cady Lalanne and Maxie Esho out of eligibility, this addition gives UMass some added front court experience.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A former Iowa State guard will continue his career in the Valley.
Apr 19, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Foster struggled as a sophomore, but a change of scenery could do him some good.
Apr 19, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Kansas State badly needed some bodies after an offseason filled with roster turnover. They landed a three-star forward on Sunday.
Apr 19, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Louisiana Tech might have found its new starting point guard for next season.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
One of the best players left in the 2015 class is down to eight schools.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Rhode Island is getting E.C. Matthews back for his junior season.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A former top-100 player found a new home in the ACC.
Apr 19, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
A former top-150 prospect is heading from the SEC to Georgia State.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
DeAndre Ayton is one of the best prospects in high school basketball.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Wood returning would ensure that this young but talented front line wouldn’t lack for experience.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:56 PM EDT
Missouri is hopeful that these two junior college products can help them rebound from a tough 2014-15.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Josh Speidel hadn’t spoken since the crash February 1. His first word: “Mom.”
Apr 18, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Chris Collins and his staff have done a good job of recruiting local talent, and they reeled in another player Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Lightfoot was on the receiving end of offers from Arizona State and Utah before committing to UNM, and the new staff at ASU has already reached out to him.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Miller averaged 16.8 points and 8.5 rebounds per game last season, and he’s an important addition for the UConn front court.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
More arrests at Iowa State as two more members of the 2014-15 roster were charged within the last week.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Boise State received some encouraging news this week as Anthony Drmic is returning for another season.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:36 PM EDT
Hammons’ decision to return makes the Boilermakers a Top 25 team.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)