Jan 28, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Game of the Day: Pittsburgh at No. 12 Louisville (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Louisville is looking to snap a three-game losing skid that has dropped them from No. 1 in the country to behind St. John’s in the Big East standings. That’s quite a tumble for the Cardinals to make, and turning it around isn’t going to be the easiest thing in the world, either. For starters, Louisville will be playing without two members of their rotation on Monday night as Wayne Blackshear is dealing with a shoulder injury and Kevin Ware has been suspended indefinitely.
But there’s more to it than that. Pittsburgh is actually one of the more underrated teams in the country. They’re sitting at 17-4 on the season and No. 7 in the current Kenpom rankings. They have a big front line that pounds the offensive glass and a pair of quality point guards that can control tempo and that don’t turn the ball over. Keeping Louisville from scoring points in transition is the best way to beat this team, especially with their most dynamic scorer (Russ Smith) being muzzled by Rick Pitino.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Jackson State (8:30 p.m. ET)
Jackson State has a kid on their team named Dundrecous Nelson. Nelson, who was forced out of Ole Miss for some issues with marijuana, was a double-digit scorer as a sophomore in the SEC. He’s averaging nearly 16 points for JSU, and he’s not even the team’s leading scorer. UAPB is currently a half-game off the pace set by Southern in the SWAC, while Jackson State needed to sweep Mississippi Valley State and Grambling last week to avoid the cellar.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Delaware at Drexel (7:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Net)
These were supposed to be the two best teams in the CAA this season, but after Northeastern knocked off George Mason on Sunday evening, they are both sitting tied for second place in the league a full three games behind the Huskies. Drexel has won three straight games since Damion Lee returned from injury, but the Blue Hens have as much talent on their roster as anyone in the country.
Five Things to Watch For
1) On Saturday, a bat spent the entire afternoon attacking No. 25 Marquette and Providence players. The Golden Eagles host South Florida tonight. Will he make another appearance?
2) No. 2 Kansas will make their first trip up to Morgantown to play a Big 12 game in the Big Monday nightcap. the intrigue in this one is almost nonexistent, as Bob Huggins’ club has not done much in the way of impress this year.
3) There is a terrific back court matchup in that game on NBCSports Network tonight. Drexel’s Damion Lee and Frantz Massenat taking on Devon Saddler and Jarvis Threatt.
4) SWACtion on ESPNU: Alabama State takes on Texas Southern.
5) Someone needs to get Rick Pitino to take the shackles off Russ Smith. He only got nine shots after coming off the bench in the loss at Georgetown. #shootmore
The Top 25
- Pitt at No. 12 Louisville (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 2 Kansas at West Virginia (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- South Florida at No. 25 Marquette (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to Lexington for his sophomore season.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
After leading Georgia State to 25 wins and a Sun Belt regular season title, Ron Hunter has been rewarded with a contract extension.
Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski accepting the head coaching position at Marquette, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would account for that departure Friday.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Tulsa has officially hired Frank Haith to be its new basketball coach.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Family and friends of Lacey Holsworth gathered at the Breslin Center to celebrate her life on Thursday.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
After leading Green Bay to a 24-win season, head coach Brian Wardle’s been rewarded with a new five-year contract.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)