Jan 28, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Game of the Day: Pittsburgh at No. 12 Louisville (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Louisville is looking to snap a three-game losing skid that has dropped them from No. 1 in the country to behind St. John’s in the Big East standings. That’s quite a tumble for the Cardinals to make, and turning it around isn’t going to be the easiest thing in the world, either. For starters, Louisville will be playing without two members of their rotation on Monday night as Wayne Blackshear is dealing with a shoulder injury and Kevin Ware has been suspended indefinitely.
But there’s more to it than that. Pittsburgh is actually one of the more underrated teams in the country. They’re sitting at 17-4 on the season and No. 7 in the current Kenpom rankings. They have a big front line that pounds the offensive glass and a pair of quality point guards that can control tempo and that don’t turn the ball over. Keeping Louisville from scoring points in transition is the best way to beat this team, especially with their most dynamic scorer (Russ Smith) being muzzled by Rick Pitino.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Jackson State (8:30 p.m. ET)
Jackson State has a kid on their team named Dundrecous Nelson. Nelson, who was forced out of Ole Miss for some issues with marijuana, was a double-digit scorer as a sophomore in the SEC. He’s averaging nearly 16 points for JSU, and he’s not even the team’s leading scorer. UAPB is currently a half-game off the pace set by Southern in the SWAC, while Jackson State needed to sweep Mississippi Valley State and Grambling last week to avoid the cellar.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Delaware at Drexel (7:00 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Net)
These were supposed to be the two best teams in the CAA this season, but after Northeastern knocked off George Mason on Sunday evening, they are both sitting tied for second place in the league a full three games behind the Huskies. Drexel has won three straight games since Damion Lee returned from injury, but the Blue Hens have as much talent on their roster as anyone in the country.
Five Things to Watch For
1) On Saturday, a bat spent the entire afternoon attacking No. 25 Marquette and Providence players. The Golden Eagles host South Florida tonight. Will he make another appearance?
2) No. 2 Kansas will make their first trip up to Morgantown to play a Big 12 game in the Big Monday nightcap. the intrigue in this one is almost nonexistent, as Bob Huggins’ club has not done much in the way of impress this year.
3) There is a terrific back court matchup in that game on NBCSports Network tonight. Drexel’s Damion Lee and Frantz Massenat taking on Devon Saddler and Jarvis Threatt.
4) SWACtion on ESPNU: Alabama State takes on Texas Southern.
5) Someone needs to get Rick Pitino to take the shackles off Russ Smith. He only got nine shots after coming off the bench in the loss at Georgetown. #shootmore
The Top 25
- Pitt at No. 12 Louisville (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- No. 2 Kansas at West Virginia (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- South Florida at No. 25 Marquette (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tony Carr is a four-star point guard that picked Penn State over Maryland, SMU and Providence.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
The investigation was conducted by an outside law firm and paid for by the university.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Alkins might be the best player from New York City since Lance Stephenson.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
The schedule isn’t the best you’ll see this season, but it’s pretty solid nonetheless.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
St. John’s remains under consideration for the Brooklyn native.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
He’s the younger brother of five-star 2017 forward Michael Porter Jr., and Michael Sr. considered joining the Washington staff this spring.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
With Vince Hunter in the professional ranks and Matt Willms dealing with a foot issue, this is an important pickup for the Miners.
Aug 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Markelle Fultz will take two official visits once he leaves adidas Nations.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Wenyen Gabriel’s tremendous summer only got better with this off-handed throw down on a defender.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Xavier added another piece in the 2016 class with a guard commitment.
Aug 2, 2015, 12:33 PM EDT
N.C. State added a dynamic wing scorer late in their 2015 recruiting efforts on Sunday as reclassified 6-foot-7 wing Maverick Rowan committed to the Wolfpack. A three-level scorer, Rowan was previously committed to Pitt and later backed off of his pledge to the Panthers before deciding to move up a grade by taking two summer…
Aug 2, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Texas A&M finished off a tremendous 2015 recruiting class with one more combo guard.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
After a rough July that included suspensions and a recruit heading to prep school, Arkansas received some good news on the first day of August.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Brandon Childress, son of Wake Forest great Randolph Childress, was the first commit in the class for the Demon Deacons.
Aug 1, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
The lawsuit stemmed from the incident in the spring of 2014.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Praised for his ability as both a coach and recruiter, Beckner also helped develop Damian Lillard into a lottery pick.
Aug 1, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Childs played well with the Utah Prospects in Las Vegas during the final evaluation period.
Aug 1, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Indiana, Kentucky and St. John’s are among the ten, as many expected.
Aug 1, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
SMU will be the headliner for this event, with the semifinals scheduled for December 22 and the third place and title games the following night.
Aug 1, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Former Texas A&M guard Peyton Allen is now a Shocker.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)