Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
John Calipari is probably the most polarizing figure in college basketball.
Kentucky fans love him. Memphis fans loved him and now hate him, like just about every other fanbase in the country. Some media members think he’s a God, others consider him the worst thing to happen to college athletics since television contracts, while still others respect his coaching acumen while believing that, as a person, he’s the equivalent of the dirt that gets caked in-between the treads of your shoe.
I fall somewhere in the middle. I hate the one-and-done rule, but I think the way that Coach Cal takes advantage of it is genius. I don’t think he’s a great x’s-and-o’s coach, but I’m not sure there is anyone better at being the CEO of a program — recruiting, teamwork, salesmenship, etc. I don’t know him well enough to have an opinion of him personally, but I love nothing more than needling Big Blue Nation with quips about him.
But if there is anything that his critics and his supporters can agree on, it’s that Cal does do a lot of good for charity. There was the Hoops for Haiti program that raised more than a $1 million in support after the earthquake. There was the money he raised to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy. And now, Coach Cal is auctioning off the shoes he wore on Saturday against LSU to raise money for Coaches vs. Cancer.
In addition to the shoes, which are signed by Cal and were worn to help promote Cancer awareness, the winner of the auction — which, as of this posting, had reached more than $2,100 — will get two lower bowl tickets to the Mississippi State game and a piece of the National Championship court from last season.
(Image via EBay)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)