Jan 29, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
New Mexico State senior Tyrone Watson is at the center of a police investigation after allegedly beating fellow 19-year-old NMSU student Miguel Rascon, leaving him with facials fractures, a broken nose, and 10 stitches, KDBC in El Paso, Texas, is reporting.
According to the report, Rascon is is not currently pressing charges, but has filed a criminal complaint with the university. Watson is the lone suspect in the police investigation. Four witnesses are listed on the police report. The incident is recounted by KDBC below:
One of those witnesses tells L4N Watson grabbed Rascon by the neck and threw him on the ground and “stomped on his head multiple times” after Watson thought Rascon was flirting with a girl he was with.
Watson is a 6-5, 225-pound native of Canada who is averaging 10.8 points and 5.0 rebounds per game this season. He is the second New Mexico State player to be in the news lately for off-the-court events after freshman Emery Coleman turned himself in to police. Coleman was arrested and charged with vehicular homicide.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)