Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
Before it trounced No. 1 Duke, Miami found out about Indiana State in an upset loss to the Sycamores. Tuesday night, it was No. 15 Wichita State that suffered the same fate.
The Shockers shot 27 percent from the floor and did not score a field goal in the nearly the final nine minutes of the second half, on their way to a 68-55 loss to Indiana State at Koch Arena in Wichita, Kan.
Indiana State made a concerted effort Tuesday to limit Wichita State with it zone defense, not allowing dribble penetration to reach the basket and capitalizing on an offensive attack that couldn’t seem to hit any shots on the perimeter. The zone helped to neutralize forward Carl Hall, who had just two points that came on two free throws for the Shockers.
Hall was plagued by foul trouble and unable to get into the rhythm he typically is with his close to 13 points per game. Indiana State did especially well not to foul Hall, where he gets a solid chunk of his points.
While Hall couldn’t get to the line, Indiana State shot 17-of-21 as a team at the line. Manny Arop led the scoring for the Sycamores with 17 points and adding six rebounds.
This win now shakes up the Missouri Valley race.
This ISU win moves the Sycamores to 7-3 in league play, one game behind Wichita State and half a game behind Creighton. Indiana State plays each of those teams one more time, Creighton on Feb. 6 and Wichita State on Feb. 19.
Advantage for the Sycamores? Both games are at home.
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 0
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 10
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1