Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
Before it trounced No. 1 Duke, Miami found out about Indiana State in an upset loss to the Sycamores. Tuesday night, it was No. 15 Wichita State that suffered the same fate.
The Shockers shot 27 percent from the floor and did not score a field goal in the nearly the final nine minutes of the second half, on their way to a 68-55 loss to Indiana State at Koch Arena in Wichita, Kan.
Indiana State made a concerted effort Tuesday to limit Wichita State with it zone defense, not allowing dribble penetration to reach the basket and capitalizing on an offensive attack that couldn’t seem to hit any shots on the perimeter. The zone helped to neutralize forward Carl Hall, who had just two points that came on two free throws for the Shockers.
Hall was plagued by foul trouble and unable to get into the rhythm he typically is with his close to 13 points per game. Indiana State did especially well not to foul Hall, where he gets a solid chunk of his points.
While Hall couldn’t get to the line, Indiana State shot 17-of-21 as a team at the line. Manny Arop led the scoring for the Sycamores with 17 points and adding six rebounds.
This win now shakes up the Missouri Valley race.
This ISU win moves the Sycamores to 7-3 in league play, one game behind Wichita State and half a game behind Creighton. Indiana State plays each of those teams one more time, Creighton on Feb. 6 and Wichita State on Feb. 19.
Advantage for the Sycamores? Both games are at home.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Memphis was 2-2 in Canada.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Ray Kasongo was denied admission from Oregon on July 30, reopening his recruitment.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This new court design is interesting to say the least.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
Take a look at what tournaments the Shockers will appear in over the next few years.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Jimmy Whitt is ranked just outside the top 50 in the Class of 2015.
Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman averaged 17.5 points, 11.5 boards and 2.2 blocks per game in four games at the Nike Global Challenge.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Nicholls State may have a large, orange-clad fan base these days.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
It’s how they played through their six games in the Bahamas.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaka Smart brings in a perfect piece and that was a priority recruit.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
It looks like everyone had a great time.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Jason Holmes is a pro athlete in a sport he never heard of.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Will these ever end?
Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Christian James is one of the better dunkers in the 2015 class.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A former Vanderbilt player is hoping to release a book discussing the dirtier side of college basketball.
Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Ohio State has some interesting games in the non-conference slate.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery defended some of his player’s recent offseason troubles.
Aug 18, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Some more disturbing allegations are levied against a 2014 NCAA Tournament team.
Aug 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
This week’s CBT Recruiting Roundup features some thoughts on Noah Dickerson to Florida and a couple of 2015 guards cutting school lists.
Aug 18, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The two programs haven’t played on one another’s home court in two decades.
Aug 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Nebraska has added a player in the Class of 2017 and a top 50 recruit from 2012 in the span of a few hours.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)