Jan 29, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad will not practice Tuesday and is listed as “day-to-day” as he battles a gastrointestinal illness, Ryan Kartje of the Orange County Register is reporting and other outlets have confirmed.
The news of Muhammad’s condition comes as the Bruins are preparing for a game Wednesday against crosstown rival USC.
Muhammad has been key to UCLA’s resurgence since his arrival in Westwood and the Bruins have overcome struggles early in the season to currently rank second in the Pac-12. On the year, he is averaging 18.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. He has scored in double figures in 17 of the 18 games he has played in and he has hit the 20-point mark eight times.
If Muhammad is unable to play, UCLA would be even more shorthanded in the front court than it was in a loss to Arizona State Saturday. Additionally, it is unclear whether forward Travis Wear will play Wednesday after suffering a concussion in a win over Arizona last week.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (4)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)