Jan 29, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad will not practice Tuesday and is listed as “day-to-day” as he battles a gastrointestinal illness, Ryan Kartje of the Orange County Register is reporting and other outlets have confirmed.
The news of Muhammad’s condition comes as the Bruins are preparing for a game Wednesday against crosstown rival USC.
Muhammad has been key to UCLA’s resurgence since his arrival in Westwood and the Bruins have overcome struggles early in the season to currently rank second in the Pac-12. On the year, he is averaging 18.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. He has scored in double figures in 17 of the 18 games he has played in and he has hit the 20-point mark eight times.
If Muhammad is unable to play, UCLA would be even more shorthanded in the front court than it was in a loss to Arizona State Saturday. Additionally, it is unclear whether forward Travis Wear will play Wednesday after suffering a concussion in a win over Arizona last week.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)