Jan 29, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad will not practice Tuesday and is listed as “day-to-day” as he battles a gastrointestinal illness, Ryan Kartje of the Orange County Register is reporting and other outlets have confirmed.
The news of Muhammad’s condition comes as the Bruins are preparing for a game Wednesday against crosstown rival USC.
Muhammad has been key to UCLA’s resurgence since his arrival in Westwood and the Bruins have overcome struggles early in the season to currently rank second in the Pac-12. On the year, he is averaging 18.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. He has scored in double figures in 17 of the 18 games he has played in and he has hit the 20-point mark eight times.
If Muhammad is unable to play, UCLA would be even more shorthanded in the front court than it was in a loss to Arizona State Saturday. Additionally, it is unclear whether forward Travis Wear will play Wednesday after suffering a concussion in a win over Arizona last week.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)