Jan 29, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad will not practice Tuesday and is listed as “day-to-day” as he battles a gastrointestinal illness, Ryan Kartje of the Orange County Register is reporting and other outlets have confirmed.
The news of Muhammad’s condition comes as the Bruins are preparing for a game Wednesday against crosstown rival USC.
Muhammad has been key to UCLA’s resurgence since his arrival in Westwood and the Bruins have overcome struggles early in the season to currently rank second in the Pac-12. On the year, he is averaging 18.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. He has scored in double figures in 17 of the 18 games he has played in and he has hit the 20-point mark eight times.
If Muhammad is unable to play, UCLA would be even more shorthanded in the front court than it was in a loss to Arizona State Saturday. Additionally, it is unclear whether forward Travis Wear will play Wednesday after suffering a concussion in a win over Arizona last week.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)