Jan 30, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
In a competitive Atlantic 10 Conference, Charlotte sit in a five-way tie for second place behind No. 9 Butler. The 49ers took a big hit on Wednesday when leading scorer, DeMario Mayfield was suspended indefinitely by the school.
According to director of athletics Judy Rose and head coach Alan Major, Mayfield is out indefinitely for a violation of athletic department policy.
We are disappointed in the decisions that DeMario has made which has led to the suspension,” said Major in a release on Wednesday.. “We will stay the course and we will rally around each other.”
“We are disappointed to make this announcement,” added Rose. “Our policies are in place for a reason and our student-athletes are expected to abide by them.”
Last season, Mayfield was arrested on possession of marijuana and was suspended for one game — a loss to Dayton.
Mayfield is one of only two 49ers to average double figures. The 6-foot-6 junior is avearging 11.7, followed by Chris Braswell at 11.5. The suspension comes at a difficult part of Charlotte’s season. Charlotte hosts UMass on Saturday then has a five-game stretch against Temple (twice), VCU, Butler and Saint Louis.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/PsychoticWolf
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 10
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles