Jan 30, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
In a competitive Atlantic 10 Conference, Charlotte sit in a five-way tie for second place behind No. 9 Butler. The 49ers took a big hit on Wednesday when leading scorer, DeMario Mayfield was suspended indefinitely by the school.
According to director of athletics Judy Rose and head coach Alan Major, Mayfield is out indefinitely for a violation of athletic department policy.
We are disappointed in the decisions that DeMario has made which has led to the suspension,” said Major in a release on Wednesday.. “We will stay the course and we will rally around each other.”
“We are disappointed to make this announcement,” added Rose. “Our policies are in place for a reason and our student-athletes are expected to abide by them.”
Last season, Mayfield was arrested on possession of marijuana and was suspended for one game — a loss to Dayton.
Mayfield is one of only two 49ers to average double figures. The 6-foot-6 junior is avearging 11.7, followed by Chris Braswell at 11.5. The suspension comes at a difficult part of Charlotte’s season. Charlotte hosts UMass on Saturday then has a five-game stretch against Temple (twice), VCU, Butler and Saint Louis.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/PsychoticWolf
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)