Jan 30, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
In a competitive Atlantic 10 Conference, Charlotte sit in a five-way tie for second place behind No. 9 Butler. The 49ers took a big hit on Wednesday when leading scorer, DeMario Mayfield was suspended indefinitely by the school.
According to director of athletics Judy Rose and head coach Alan Major, Mayfield is out indefinitely for a violation of athletic department policy.
We are disappointed in the decisions that DeMario has made which has led to the suspension,” said Major in a release on Wednesday.. “We will stay the course and we will rally around each other.”
“We are disappointed to make this announcement,” added Rose. “Our policies are in place for a reason and our student-athletes are expected to abide by them.”
Last season, Mayfield was arrested on possession of marijuana and was suspended for one game — a loss to Dayton.
Mayfield is one of only two 49ers to average double figures. The 6-foot-6 junior is avearging 11.7, followed by Chris Braswell at 11.5. The suspension comes at a difficult part of Charlotte’s season. Charlotte hosts UMass on Saturday then has a five-game stretch against Temple (twice), VCU, Butler and Saint Louis.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/PsychoticWolf
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)