Jan 30, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
In a competitive Atlantic 10 Conference, Charlotte sit in a five-way tie for second place behind No. 9 Butler. The 49ers took a big hit on Wednesday when leading scorer, DeMario Mayfield was suspended indefinitely by the school.
According to director of athletics Judy Rose and head coach Alan Major, Mayfield is out indefinitely for a violation of athletic department policy.
We are disappointed in the decisions that DeMario has made which has led to the suspension,” said Major in a release on Wednesday.. “We will stay the course and we will rally around each other.”
“We are disappointed to make this announcement,” added Rose. “Our policies are in place for a reason and our student-athletes are expected to abide by them.”
Last season, Mayfield was arrested on possession of marijuana and was suspended for one game — a loss to Dayton.
Mayfield is one of only two 49ers to average double figures. The 6-foot-6 junior is avearging 11.7, followed by Chris Braswell at 11.5. The suspension comes at a difficult part of Charlotte’s season. Charlotte hosts UMass on Saturday then has a five-game stretch against Temple (twice), VCU, Butler and Saint Louis.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/PsychoticWolf
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)