Jan 30, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
In a competitive Atlantic 10 Conference, Charlotte sit in a five-way tie for second place behind No. 9 Butler. The 49ers took a big hit on Wednesday when leading scorer, DeMario Mayfield was suspended indefinitely by the school.
According to director of athletics Judy Rose and head coach Alan Major, Mayfield is out indefinitely for a violation of athletic department policy.
We are disappointed in the decisions that DeMario has made which has led to the suspension,” said Major in a release on Wednesday.. “We will stay the course and we will rally around each other.”
“We are disappointed to make this announcement,” added Rose. “Our policies are in place for a reason and our student-athletes are expected to abide by them.”
Last season, Mayfield was arrested on possession of marijuana and was suspended for one game — a loss to Dayton.
Mayfield is one of only two 49ers to average double figures. The 6-foot-6 junior is avearging 11.7, followed by Chris Braswell at 11.5. The suspension comes at a difficult part of Charlotte’s season. Charlotte hosts UMass on Saturday then has a five-game stretch against Temple (twice), VCU, Butler and Saint Louis.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/PsychoticWolf
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)