Jan 30, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
The big news out of Charlottesville last night wasn’t that Virginia knocked off No. 19 NC State last night — although that does matter – or that NC State has now lost three straight road games to opponents that they shouldn’t be losing to.
The bigger issue is the ankle of Lorenzo Brown.
NC State’s starting point guard, who was averaging 14.7 points and 8.7 assists in ACC play, rolled his ankle midway through the first half on Tuesday night and never returned to the game. He’s currently listed as questionable for Saturday’s showdown with Miami. A loss to the Hurricanes would all but end any chance that the Wolfpack has of winning the ACC regular season title.
The issue for Mark Gottfried is that he had essentially gone to a six-man rotation this season, as back-up point guard Tyler Lewis had logged just 21 minutes in ACC play heading into Tuesday night. Lewis played 15 minutes in Brown’s place, finishing with three points and two assists without a turnovers, while Rodney Purvis also slid over to the point guard spot for a chunk of the second half.
CJ Leslie played great, looking dominant in the second half, demanding the ball on his way to a 20-point, 14-rebound performance. But, for the second time on the road in the last two weeks, Leslie struggled down the stretch, missing a layup and dropping a pass on a would-be dunk in the final minutes.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)