Jan 30, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
We all knew that Marshall Henderson had a past, and thanks to a report from USA Today, it seems more of it is coming out today.
It had been widely reported that Henderson had spent time in jail stemming from a 2010 forgery charge. Henderson used $800 of counterfeit money to buy weed in 2009 and got caught. He spent 25 days in jail last spring as a result.
But the reason he wasn’t jailed until last spring for a charge stemming from 2010 is that he violated his probation last January.
The details, from Nicole Auerbach:
In January of last year, he tested positive for cocaine, marijuana and alcohol, according to the records provided by the Tarrant County, Texas, District Attorney’s office through a Freedom of Information request.
Those tests follow incidents in 2011 when he failed to meet other terms of the probation, such as community service
Willie Henderson, Henderson’s father, said his son has owned up to his actions and dealt with the consequences.
“If you violate your probation in any form – whether it’s making a phone call on time, making an appointment, sending in a letter, they have so many things you have to do,” Willie Henderson said Monday. “If the judge says you have to have a job, you’re in violation if you don’t. There were some things on there that could be met, and there were some things that couldn’t. He violated his probation so he had to do his time.”
Henderson became a cult figure around the blogosphere because of his scoring acumen and preference for shooting from 28 feet instead of the regular three-point line. He became a national sensation because of a 24 point second half to beat Tennessee and his post-game antics after hitting the game-winning free throws against Auburn on a Saturday night.
Last night’s game against Kentucky brought with it a ton of attention and publicity, and Henderson proceeded to go 5-19 and get in a spat on the sideline with his coach that was captured by ESPN’s cameras. There are already plenty of people who don’t think highly of a player with Henderson’s histrionics, and with there kind of skeletons being dug out of his closet, the public perception of Henderson could end up changing quite quickly.
Can he handle it?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)