Jan 31, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the United States Basketball Writers Association on Thursday, as the association released its midseason watch lists for both the Wayman Tisdale and Oscar Robertson awards. The Oscar Robertson Award is given annually to the best player in the country as voted upon by members of the USBWA.
Two teams (Indiana and Kansas) have multiple candidates on the list with the Hoosiers being represented by guard Victor Oladipo and center Cody Zeller, and guard Ben McLemore and center Jeff Withey represent the Jayhawks.
Of the 12 players two are freshmen: McLemore and UNLV forward Anthony Bennett. Seven conferences have players on the list with the Big Ten leading the way with four. In addition to Oladipo and Zeller, Michigan point guard Trey Burke and Ohio State forward Deshaun Thomas are on the watch list.
The full list is as follows:
F Anthony Bennett, UNLV (6-8, 240, Fr., Brampton, Ont.)
G Trey Burke, Michigan (6-0, 190, So., Columbus, Ohio)
G Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse (6-6, 185, So., Hamilton, Mass.)
F Doug McDermott, Creighton (6-8, 225, Jr., Ames, Iowa)
G Ben McLemore, Kansas (6-5, 195, Fr., St. Louis, Mo.)
G Victor Oladipo, Indiana (6-5, 214, Jr., Upper Marlboro, Md.)
F Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga (7-0, 238, Jr., Kamloops, B.C.)
F Mason Plumlee, Duke (6-10, 235, Sr., Warsaw, Ind.)
G Russ Smith, Louisville (6-0, 165, Jr., Brooklyn, N.Y.)
F Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State (6-7, 215, Jr., Fort Wayne, Ind.)
C Jeff Withey, Kansas (7-0, 235, Sr., San Diego, Calif.)
F Cody Zeller, Indiana (7-0, 240, So., Washington, Ind.)
Overall this is a good list, but if there’s one change to consider it would be San Diego State’s Jamaal Franklin in place of Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams, with Franklin currently leading the Aztecs in both points (17.4 ppg) and rebounds (9.4 rpg).
But to be fair to Carter-Williams he has been one of the major reasons why Syracuse has been a Top 10 team all season long, so it’s difficult to say that he doesn’t merit consideration.
And it’s good to see players who have displayed a great amount of improvement over the course of their respective careers (not to mention this season) in Oladipo and Gonzaga’s Kelly Olynyk get some recognition.
Of the 12 players on this season’s midseason watch list two, McDermott and Zeller, were named to last season’s midseason watch list. Kentucky freshman Anthony Davis won the Oscar Robertson Award last year.
(Note: While a member of the USBWA, I did not have a vote for the midseason list)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 1
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)