Jan 31, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
James Southerland will miss at least two more games before his appeal his heard, according to a report from the Syracuse Post-Standard.
Syracuse senior James Southerland will have his appeal to regain eligibility heard next week, a source told the Post-Standard on Thursday.
The source said Southerland’s appeal will be in front of a Syracuse University panel; not NCAA officials.
Southerland was suspended on January 12th for an unspecified academic issue. He’s missed the last four games, a stretch where Syracuse has gone 3-1. They beat Villanova and Cincinnati at home, then went into Louisville and knocked off the Cardinals before losing to Villanova on the road. Southerland is the best three-point shooter and the second-leading scorer for the Orange.
Syracuse plays at Pitt on Saturday and hosts Notre Dame on Monday. Jim Boeheim will have an even shorter bench during those two games as the result of a procedure done on the knee of freshman big man DaJuan Coleman. That puts more pressure on freshman Jerami Grant, who’s averaged 10.0 points and 5.5 boards the past four games, to produce.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 3
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 5
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 60
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (63)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)