Jan 31, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
James Southerland will miss at least two more games before his appeal his heard, according to a report from the Syracuse Post-Standard.
Syracuse senior James Southerland will have his appeal to regain eligibility heard next week, a source told the Post-Standard on Thursday.
The source said Southerland’s appeal will be in front of a Syracuse University panel; not NCAA officials.
Southerland was suspended on January 12th for an unspecified academic issue. He’s missed the last four games, a stretch where Syracuse has gone 3-1. They beat Villanova and Cincinnati at home, then went into Louisville and knocked off the Cardinals before losing to Villanova on the road. Southerland is the best three-point shooter and the second-leading scorer for the Orange.
Syracuse plays at Pitt on Saturday and hosts Notre Dame on Monday. Jim Boeheim will have an even shorter bench during those two games as the result of a procedure done on the knee of freshman big man DaJuan Coleman. That puts more pressure on freshman Jerami Grant, who’s averaged 10.0 points and 5.5 boards the past four games, to produce.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)