Jan 31, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Marcus Smart was already thought to be one of, if not the nation’s freshman this season, and he didn’t dissuade anyone from that opinion on Wednesday night.
Smart went for 21 points, seven boards, six assists and four steals while shooting 9-15 from the floor to lead Oklahoma State to a 78-76 win over Iowa State in Stillwater.
His biggest shot came with 3.1 seconds left, after the Pokes had erased an 11 point second half deficit. With the game tied on the final possession, Smart came off of a high-ball screen, shaking free from Will Clyburn and hitting a floater off the glass over Georges Niang.
(CLICK HERE: For video of Smart’s game-winner.)
That set up one of the weirder endings you’ll see this season.
After Le’Bryan Nash used the foul that Oklahoma State had to give, the Cyclones turned the ball over on the inbounds. But on the ensuing inbounds pass, Nash was called for a foul battling with Chris Babb for position. As Babb was getting set to shoot a 1-and-1, the officials huddled and ruled that since Nash didn’t have possession of the ball, it was a player control foul and that Iowa State should get the ball out of bounds. Tyrus McGee missed a prayer at the buzzer that would have won the game.
This was a key win for an Oklahoma State team looking to add a bit of padding to a thoroughly mediocre resume. Avoiding 3-4 in league play was important as well, as the Pokes are headed to Kansas on Saturday.
It makes you wonder: where would the Pokes have been if Marcus Smart hadn’t hit a 60-foot runner at the end of the first half?:
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)