Jan 31, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
I suggest you dig through his work, because it’s quite informative. But I’m going to highlight the most interesting splits that Hanner found. Here is our look at Duke.
When Ryan Kelly went down with another foot injury earlier this month, the opinion of those around college hoops was virtually unanimous: this would be a debilitating injury for Duke to try and overcome. Kelly was such an important piece on both ends of the floor, and the Blue Devils bench wasn’t quite deep enough to adequately replace him.
As it turns out, Amile Jefferson has actually become quite effective as a stopgap, especially on the offensive end of the floor. He was averaging 10.0 points and 7.0 boards in the four games Kelly missed before taking an 0-fer last night, and as Hanner points out, Duke’s offense didn’t fall all that far.
Their defense is a different story, however. Prior to the 75-70 win at Wake Forest last night, Duke had seen their defensive efficiency drop from elite — 0.842 PPP, adjusted — to borderline top 100 — 0.957 PPP, adjusted. That’s without the 0.986 PPP that Duke allowed to the offensively challenged Demon Deacons.
The reason that this Duke team was thought of as a legitimate title contender was because they were able to defend as well as anyone in the country, which is not exactly a trait that is synonymous with Duke basketball. And while Jefferson has proven to be a better replacement than many expected, the Blue Devils are not the same kind of title threat as they will be if Kelly does come back.
To see our take on Georgetown, click here.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)