Feb 1, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
With a top-3 matchup headlining Saturday’s games, legendary Indiana head coach Bob Knight took a shot at top-ranked Michigan. Well, not this year’s team … he went back 20 years.
Michigan’s Fab Five is one of the most famous teams in college basketball history, and until this week, the 1992-1993 edition of the Fab Five was the last Michigan team to be ranked No. 1 in the nation.
The Fab Five made it to consecutive Final Fours, which were later vacated, and featured future top pick, Chris Webber. For all the publicity they got (and still get) Knight isn’t impressed and shared his views Thursday night, as MLive.com’s Nick Baumgardner posted Knight’s comments from ESPN’s broadcast of the Arkansas-Alabama game.
“I’m not sure what the Fab Five was,” said Knight. “They never won anything.
“They never won a championship, they didn’t get anywhere, they got beat.”
Despite the Fab Five — Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson — lack of championship banners, they were trendsetters during their time in Ann Arbor, and are still talked about year after year, being compared to other top recruiting classes.
Knight, who won three national titles in his Hall of Fame career, feels the adjective before ‘Five’ is a bit generous.
“Fab indicates, to me, that you’ve won something,” Knight added. “I’ve never been able to understand what ‘Fab’ was. It wasn’t championships, I always knew that.”
Indiana and Michigan tip at 9 p.m. in Bloomington.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)