Feb 1, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
With a top-3 matchup headlining Saturday’s games, legendary Indiana head coach Bob Knight took a shot at top-ranked Michigan. Well, not this year’s team … he went back 20 years.
Michigan’s Fab Five is one of the most famous teams in college basketball history, and until this week, the 1992-1993 edition of the Fab Five was the last Michigan team to be ranked No. 1 in the nation.
The Fab Five made it to consecutive Final Fours, which were later vacated, and featured future top pick, Chris Webber. For all the publicity they got (and still get) Knight isn’t impressed and shared his views Thursday night, as MLive.com’s Nick Baumgardner posted Knight’s comments from ESPN’s broadcast of the Arkansas-Alabama game.
“I’m not sure what the Fab Five was,” said Knight. “They never won anything.
“They never won a championship, they didn’t get anywhere, they got beat.”
Despite the Fab Five — Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson — lack of championship banners, they were trendsetters during their time in Ann Arbor, and are still talked about year after year, being compared to other top recruiting classes.
Knight, who won three national titles in his Hall of Fame career, feels the adjective before ‘Five’ is a bit generous.
“Fab indicates, to me, that you’ve won something,” Knight added. “I’ve never been able to understand what ‘Fab’ was. It wasn’t championships, I always knew that.”
Indiana and Michigan tip at 9 p.m. in Bloomington.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)