Feb 1, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
With a top-3 matchup headlining Saturday’s games, legendary Indiana head coach Bob Knight took a shot at top-ranked Michigan. Well, not this year’s team … he went back 20 years.
Michigan’s Fab Five is one of the most famous teams in college basketball history, and until this week, the 1992-1993 edition of the Fab Five was the last Michigan team to be ranked No. 1 in the nation.
The Fab Five made it to consecutive Final Fours, which were later vacated, and featured future top pick, Chris Webber. For all the publicity they got (and still get) Knight isn’t impressed and shared his views Thursday night, as MLive.com’s Nick Baumgardner posted Knight’s comments from ESPN’s broadcast of the Arkansas-Alabama game.
“I’m not sure what the Fab Five was,” said Knight. “They never won anything.
“They never won a championship, they didn’t get anywhere, they got beat.”
Despite the Fab Five — Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson — lack of championship banners, they were trendsetters during their time in Ann Arbor, and are still talked about year after year, being compared to other top recruiting classes.
Knight, who won three national titles in his Hall of Fame career, feels the adjective before ‘Five’ is a bit generous.
“Fab indicates, to me, that you’ve won something,” Knight added. “I’ve never been able to understand what ‘Fab’ was. It wasn’t championships, I always knew that.”
Indiana and Michigan tip at 9 p.m. in Bloomington.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?