Feb 1, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
With a top-3 matchup headlining Saturday’s games, legendary Indiana head coach Bob Knight took a shot at top-ranked Michigan. Well, not this year’s team … he went back 20 years.
Michigan’s Fab Five is one of the most famous teams in college basketball history, and until this week, the 1992-1993 edition of the Fab Five was the last Michigan team to be ranked No. 1 in the nation.
The Fab Five made it to consecutive Final Fours, which were later vacated, and featured future top pick, Chris Webber. For all the publicity they got (and still get) Knight isn’t impressed and shared his views Thursday night, as MLive.com’s Nick Baumgardner posted Knight’s comments from ESPN’s broadcast of the Arkansas-Alabama game.
“I’m not sure what the Fab Five was,” said Knight. “They never won anything.
“They never won a championship, they didn’t get anywhere, they got beat.”
Despite the Fab Five — Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson — lack of championship banners, they were trendsetters during their time in Ann Arbor, and are still talked about year after year, being compared to other top recruiting classes.
Knight, who won three national titles in his Hall of Fame career, feels the adjective before ‘Five’ is a bit generous.
“Fab indicates, to me, that you’ve won something,” Knight added. “I’ve never been able to understand what ‘Fab’ was. It wasn’t championships, I always knew that.”
Indiana and Michigan tip at 9 p.m. in Bloomington.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)