Feb 1, 2013, 8:57 PM EST
When Jordan Morgan went down with what looked a serious ankle injury in Sunday’s 74-60 win over Illinois. Although it looked a lot worse than it turned out to be. No break, only a sprain for the Michigan junior. After missing the win against Northwestern, the 6-foot-8 forward could be available for Saturday’s marquee matchup against Indiana.
According to reports, Michigan head coach John Beilein has not ruled out Morgan, at least not yet.
“I want to do what’s best for the team and best for him,” Beilein said before Friday’s practice. “You’re looking long-range — at the same time, you never know if he can give us a few minutes. We don’t want to experiment with him. Let’s see what he does. I don’t hold this high regard for who starts.”
Michigan was waiting to see how Morgan he looked six days after suffering the sprain. If Morgan can’t go with the injury, Jon Horford is slated to start in his role, like he did on Wednesday, with freshman Mitch McGary coming off the bench. Even if he doesn’t start, Beilein could still use Morgan off the bench.
In Wednesday’s win against Northwestern, Horford and McGary combined for 16 points and 18 rebounds. Whether Morgan can go or not, Michigan will obviously need strong play from its bigs on the road in one of the toughest places to play against one of the best big men in the country, Cody Zeller.
“We have more length when Jon or Mitch is in there,” said Beilein. “Cody’s a load no matter who you have in there.”
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)