Feb 1, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
When Jordan Morgan went down with what looked a serious ankle injury in Sunday’s 74-60 win over Illinois. Although it looked a lot worse than it turned out to be. No break, only a sprain for the Michigan junior. After missing the win against Northwestern, the 6-foot-8 forward could be available for Saturday’s marquee matchup against Indiana.
According to reports, Michigan head coach John Beilein has not ruled out Morgan, at least not yet.
“I want to do what’s best for the team and best for him,” Beilein said before Friday’s practice. “You’re looking long-range — at the same time, you never know if he can give us a few minutes. We don’t want to experiment with him. Let’s see what he does. I don’t hold this high regard for who starts.”
Michigan was waiting to see how Morgan he looked six days after suffering the sprain. If Morgan can’t go with the injury, Jon Horford is slated to start in his role, like he did on Wednesday, with freshman Mitch McGary coming off the bench. Even if he doesn’t start, Beilein could still use Morgan off the bench.
In Wednesday’s win against Northwestern, Horford and McGary combined for 16 points and 18 rebounds. Whether Morgan can go or not, Michigan will obviously need strong play from its bigs on the road in one of the toughest places to play against one of the best big men in the country, Cody Zeller.
“We have more length when Jon or Mitch is in there,” said Beilein. “Cody’s a load no matter who you have in there.”
- LeBron James Skills Academy Day 2 Recap: Huntington Prep tandem enjoys productive Thursday 0
- adidas Unrivaled Day 1: Brandon Ingram gets the best of Jaylen Brown, Ray Smith hurts his knee 0
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 2 Recap: Derrick Jones puts on a show 0
- Five-star 2015 forward Henry Ellenson working to become a more versatile player 1
- Diamond Stone discusses his package deal, recent weight loss 2
- LeBron James Skills Academy Day 1 Recap: College players shine, LeBron joins high school campers 1
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 1 Recap: Derryck Thornton outshines Diamond Stone, Skal Labissiere 0
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Rashad McCants says there was never a relationship between him and Roy Williams (AUDIO) (9)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Former NBA champion Robert Horry: ‘I hate AAU basketball’ (VIDEO) (4)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)